Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

DIMENSION ARC TOOL WON'T WORK???

Anonymous
Not applicable
WANTED TO DIMENSION THE DOTTED LINE SHOWN IN PIC, DIMENSION TOOL WILL NOT SELECT AND ALLOW ME TO DO SO?????

IT IS AS IF SOME OF THE TOOLS WILL NOT WORK, SOME WILL...WHAT THE HEY?

TRIED TO USE THE RADIUS TOO, THE ARC DIMENSION TOOL NONE OF EITHER WILL WORK. HAVE DIMENSIONS FOR THIS ON THE FURNITURE LAYER PLAN (THIS IS THE FURNITURE LAYER PLAN SET.
9 REPLIES 9
Dwight
Newcomer
Click on the arc then click to place the dimension.
Seems fine.

Are you working with arcs or splines?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Click on the arc then click to place the dimension.
Seems fine.

Are you working with arcs or splines?
That is what I always do, it is an arc, the arc length measure tool will not work. Have done this many, many times, all I get is that sound which means "you can't get there from here", you know the error sound.

Gave up moved on, I can't figure this out
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe it's me or maybe it's the image but those arcs look elliptical. If they are I'm pretty sure the radius or arc length dimension tools will work on them. I can't say for sure since I have never tried since I wouldn't attempt to dimension ellipses that way.
Anonymous
Not applicable
They are ellipses, and the tool will not work, perhaps that is the problem. I need to know their length, have tried many workaround, none successful. May have to use the tool that puts tics on the line in lengths, then count them....it is late and I am not at computer
Matthew wrote:
Maybe it's me or maybe it's the image but those arcs look elliptical. If they are I'm pretty sure the radius or arc length dimension tools will work on them. I can't say for sure since I have never tried since I wouldn't attempt to dimension ellipses that way.
rocorona
Booster
Archimamamia wrote:
They are ellipses, and the tool will not work, perhaps that is the problem. I need to know their length, have tried many workaround, none successful.
For this you can use the "Element information" palette under Window>Palettes>

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Community Admin
It is also possible that you activate the Arc Tool and SPACE-click the Elliptical Arc. ArchiCAD will create a series of Arcs that approximate the Ellipse. Then you will able to Dimension those Arcs one by one.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I used hot spot to get overalls on this, see jpg. Tried what you suggested, still get that computer error sound, so guess this won't work either.
laszlonagy wrote:
It is also possible that you activate the Arc Tool and SPACE-click the Elliptical Arc. ArchiCAD will create a series of Arcs that approximate the Ellipse. Then you will able to Dimension those Arcs one by one.

DIMENSIONED BRIDAL SHOWCASE.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In the original post you mention dotted lines, I guess you meant the Dashed Line?

So if you activate the Arc/Circle Tool, then move your cursor over one of those 4 Dashed elliptical arcs I see, the thin Mercedes cursor shape appears indicating you have found an edge, then you hold down the SPACE key and click the dashed arc. Is this when the error sound comes?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I choose the Arc/Circle tool, then move my cursor over one of the dashed lines as you describe below, this is when the sound happens. If the Architect I am working with will accept my dimensions as usable, then I am done....spent waaaay too much time on this.
laszlonagy wrote:
In the original post you mention dotted lines, I guess you meant the Dashed Line?

So if you activate the Arc/Circle Tool, then move your cursor over one of those 4 Dashed elliptical arcs I see, the thin Mercedes cursor shape appears indicating you have found an edge, then you hold down the SPACE key and click the dashed arc. Is this when the error sound comes?