BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

DPI settings in sketch engine.

Tom Krowka
Booster
I want to increase the dpi settings in the sketch mode to get a better quality drawing. It seems the default is set to about 72 dpi. If I increase it, it renders nicely in the photorender window, although I can't tell what the DPI is.

I put it into plotmaker, and double the size. Seems like the the dpi is actually half of 72 dpi, which is logical.

So I set sketch setting to 500 dpi, which my plotter can do. When I bring the drawing in to plotmaker, the drawing is tiny. Seems like the dpi is matched to the size somehow, and I can't figure out how to unmatch it.

I'd like a 20 inch wide drawing at 500 dpi, but I can't get it. Any body have any luck with this?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
Forget dpi.

How many actual pixels are you making?

More pixels means tinier sketch lines.

Then you resize the image to suit yourself.
Dwight Atkinson
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thank you. I'll try that. Don't know why I didn't think of that.......
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
BTW: the sketch engine rather cleverly applies TIFF linework images to the edges in the image.

You can see the exact images in the folder Sketch Textures.

This is why a larger sketch render image seems so much sharper - the image uses more of these tiny images to build the sketch.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
I'd like a 20 inch wide drawing at 500 dpi, but I can't get it. Any body have any luck with this?
Therefore you need 20*500 pixels ... 10000 which you can't do in ArchiCAD. Try 200 dpi, that needs 4000 pixels that you can render. Anyway, what do you need 500 dpi for???

Think only in pixels, dpi is related to the printer/screen resolution.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Tom Krowka
Booster
I was thinking that the DPI was related to the dpi that the plotter can output, not related to the pixels.

What is the most pixels that AC can use? Is it a function of the screen resolution?

I'm trying to get a large sketch picture. Client loves the look, but I need a bigger pic. I guess I could print a smaller one, then blow it up on a copy machine.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Learn and get certified!