Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Darker renderings in AC21 compared to AC20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have opened plns worked with AC20 with the new AC21 - I chose migrate libraries but that's not the case i think- and i used preset scene "indoor daylight medium - physical" and made some renderings.
When compared to identical renderings i have done with AC20 i noticed that in AC21 they appear darker but mostly importantly like the light bounces less times than in AC20 so the things in the shadows are grey (See images below). Any ideas or i it just my idea?

p.s tested with two pls so far and the results are the same
4 REPLIES 4
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

The rendering engine is usually upgraded from version to version, so the set of cinerender settings become different. As a result, the default rendering scenes need to be fine-tuned to provide similar quality and speed with the new settings as well.

I think simply that's what is making the difference. (I actually prefer the darker one with better shadows and reflections).

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the answer dkovacs ! (i thought i would get an email if someone posted a reply so i didnt check the thread for a while)
i think it is as you wrote it.

p.s so far i havent found what changed from presets scenes of ac20 to ac21 but i will give it another try. if i find something i will post it
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you save your settings in ARCHICAD20 as a scene and export it and then import in ARCHICAD21, you get different results, or are you using something like Interior Daylight Fast or similar named in preset in both versions? Because these could be different indeed.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes Erwin I have been using lately the preset scenes that come with Archicad cause I find them quite good for my likes (in the pics above was indoor daylight medium (physical).
So, to figure it out I created a new project from scratch in AC21 (made a simple draw 4 walls two slabs and some windows and some objects inside) and choose indoor daylight medium (physical) and compare all the settings for indoor daylight medium (physical), with the settings from the project that was created with ac20 and then‘ve opened it and I continue working with the AC21. I found a lot of parameters to differ so that was the answer.
The only thing that bugs me is why the settings of the presets were changed while importing a drawing for earlier version to ac21 compared to a project freshly created in AC21?
P.S I will try to export a scene from ac20 and import it to ac21 just to be sure as Erwin suggesedt! Again thanks you both for taking the time to help!