Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Data management on big projects

MaFarine
Booster

Hello there,

I am currently working on a big project and we have 9 different files.

We are facing some difficulties having consistent data for our elements (layers, IFC classifications, properties, etc.).

How would you do to manage data in a good manner?

Tell me if you need me to be clearer.

Best regards,

Mathieu

Mathieu Farine | BIM Manager | CCHE Lausanne | Switzerland
AC24-26 FRA | WIN11 | i7-9850H | 32Go | RTX4000
7 REPLIES 7
tonyfitz
Booster

You need to create a master file were all attributes are correct and from where they are managed.

Introduce rules to the team with the following type of rules:

• no one can copy paste anything from an outside project without going through a cleaning file first.
  • no one can create new attributes in a file, these need to be done in the master file and then transferred through to the others.
  • Assign 1 or 2 people to manage hotlink updates, as having everyone doing this when they want can cause utter chaos.
  • Appoint a project file manager who is responsible for managing the logistics of the Archicad files and give them the power to tell all team members how they should work.

If you don't have a sound structure then it can turn to chaos very quickly, believe me I have been there done that... lol

Good luck

Tony

Tony Fitzpatrick
Head of BIM
www.aw2.fi

Co-Founder / CEO
www.the bimcrowd.com

To add to this excellent advice: I would recommend having a 'workspace' for modules in the master file. Basically somewhere to the side of the main model. Save the modules by using marquee tool around these elements.

This 'forces' you to keep making new attributes in the master file, as long as they're part of modules.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
MaFarine
Booster

Wow!

You guys are really fast.

Thanks for your insights!

So yes, a master file where I manage everything that sounds good.

Attributes, Favourites, Properties, Translators (IFC, DWG), etc.

It is all about the process I guess, we create everything on that master file and then we propagate data (Attributes, properties and favourites mainly) to the others.

Now I will only check data on Solibri since our deliverables are mainly in IFC4 but I need to make sure to be able to help the modelling team with some "auto quality checks".

I guess that through schedules and graphic override would work quite well or would you do it in some other way?

Thank again 🙂

Mathieu Farine | BIM Manager | CCHE Lausanne | Switzerland
AC24-26 FRA | WIN11 | i7-9850H | 32Go | RTX4000

What sort of things are you wanting to quality check ?

I have managed to set up a few properties and graphic overrides that review walls for things like required fire and acoustic ratings and then highlight if it has been achieved or not, as well as checking windows to see if they are in a fire rated wall and return a fire rating automatically to these, but can also be used as a check.

Dive into the expressions rabbit hole....  🙄

If you want any help or ideas, let me know.

Tony Fitzpatrick
Head of BIM
www.aw2.fi

Co-Founder / CEO
www.the bimcrowd.com

Using schedules I would recommend keeping the 'scope' of these small. Especially on larger projects like these things can slow to a crawl if you try to list many elements with many fields.

I like to have 'temporary' schedules, as it were, where I filter by layer or building material to keep the time needed to show / refresh the schedule low.

Especially for proper classification I prefer schedules.

Graphic overrides are decent enough, but sometimes certain things don't show up in floor plan easily (due to being above the cutplane, for example), so I trust schedules more.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
bouhmidage
Advisor

I'm working with modules on a big project, 

1 module for architecture : modelling in Archicad.

1 module for structure : importing IFC , cleaning up and checking layers etc

1 module for MEP: importing IFC , cleaning up and checking layers etc

1 assembly file : where i link 3 files listed above

The problem with modules is when you want to control elements visibility and create layer combinations, you can't hide a part of the module, and that's a HUGE problem for me 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

With regards to your layer problem, if you put the elements you want to be able to turn off and on on separate layer within your module file you should be able to manage these as normal from your master file.

As long as the module master layer is showing then the layers within the module are able to be turned on and off just like the rest.  I presume you are importing an IFC in to the Archicad module and putting all elements on to a single layer.  If you set your translator up to put particular elements you want to control in views on different layers then you will be able to control when and where they show up.

The beauty of modules is that you can manage the display of layers across the whole project.  Just a case of working out what it is you need to achieve and then setting up your layers and layer combinations to suit.

Tony Fitzpatrick
Head of BIM
www.aw2.fi

Co-Founder / CEO
www.the bimcrowd.com