Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Datasmith export/save crash

4dProof
Advisor

anyone have a work-around for the constant crashes when saving/exporting to twinmotion using the new datasmith plugin? Some computers in the office crash every time they try; the best case computers still crash 1 out of 5 times... we are currently saving to 24 in order to save an FBX to get projects into twinmotion... open to any other suggestions

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
4dProof
Advisor

update, should anyone catch this thread; the solution is to re-install the datasmith add-on. Either the original install was corrupt, incomplete, or there has been an update to the add-on since it was first installed. After a fresh install, there have been no crashes on the affected computers and project files

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

What hardware / system configuration are you using?

I have no issues with a reasonably large project (25M+ polygons) on AC25 AUS 4013 on Windows 10 Pro 21H2 64Gb RAM

Regards,

Scott

Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB
ryejuan
Advisor

you haven't use the direct link?

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

mac. Its somehow tied to the new M1 computers and/or OS; not related to file size/complexity. The computers have more than enough horse power

direct link is always crash happy. I have used it, and it's amazing when it works... but devastating when it crashes and work is lost. We may need to use the direct link on this one though, since the export option crashes Archicad.

The M1 Macs are not fully compatible with Archicad at present and run in emulation this could be the cause of your issues.

Additionally I would only say that the only M1 Mac suitable for running AC at present would be Macbook Pro with the M1 Max processor and 32Gb RAM, with the new memory architecture of the Macs RAM is shared between processor and graphics so 16Gb of RAM is not enough for AC as 8Gb is going to be used for graphics display, especially if using external monitors.

Regards,

Scott

Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB

I think you can try using direct link first then once you have send all the info you can just terminate the link. so far for me am using the 2022 preview of TwinMotion haven't encountered any crashes but i agree with you like when did alot of modification / changes then crashed you loose motivation to redo again. 😅

end up using lumion if doing something important or rushing something out. 😆

ArchiCAD 9 onwards

AFAIK, lumion is still windows only... and in a 70 person firm, it doesn't fit the budget anyway; so we haven't gone down that road... I'm no rendering expert; I still miss the days of lightworks directly from AC

ahhhh, lightworks brings back lots of memory tweaking the settings to get a good rendering output. by the way have you tried enscape? 🤔

ArchiCAD 9 onwards

I have not. I know my limits, and decent quality rendering output is beyond those limits... I bought a lightworks book and even spent countless evenings practicing staging lights, studying framing, etc... and at best got something that looked about as good as a year freshman architecture studio pin ups. So I just let everyone else deal with renderings now and I fish for software solutions and bug work-arounds for a living