Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Default Priority of Elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

A colleague of mine was drawing a hatch and it was by default going to the very back, behind the walls. Therefore, we were wondering how this default priority is set and if there is a way to set the priority of an element before drawing it so that someone avoids the procedure of selecting the element afterwards and bringing it to the front.

Looking forward to your reply.

Eleni
8 REPLIES 8
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The order in which you draw things is the order in which they are displayed.

Because of this I initially draft in the 'construction order': foundations > slabs > walls > roofs. This means I have very little reason to move things back or forward. However I do like interior elements (furniture and such) to sit 'below' my walls, since these typically have a blank background and a thinner line than the walls, meaning they will make the wall line look thinner by covering up half of it.

I have all 4 display order commands keybound (think this was the default keybind from AC9 or AC10 that since got changed).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
DGSketcher
Legend
You may like to read the attached AC help centre links...

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/76415/
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25744/

The display order shortcut keys that Erwin mentioned are generally mapped as:
Home - Bring to front
Pg Up - Bring forward
Pg Dn - Send backward
End - Send to back
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly
Erwin wrote:
The order in which you draw things is the order in which they are displayed.

Not quite true.
Elements have a default order in that fills will always (by default) go behind everything,
Slabs will be in front of fills.
Walls in front of slabs.
Lines in front of walls.
Text in front of lines.

It may not be exactly that and there are other elements of course, but you get the idea.

Only elements of the same type will display as last placed is on top (i.e. the last fill you place will cover all other fills but will still be behind the walls, slabs, lines, etc.).

Generally I find this default order is usually pretty good - I rarely have to change things.
Layer organisation may help here too in hiding elements you do not want to see.

The default order can not be changed, so you have no choice except to use the display order commands if you need to make changes.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Also this is not a BIMx question, so I have moved it to Construction Documentation.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Barry, if I draft my walls and after that add a slab, the contour line of the slab will be 'on top' of the walls. This is why I allways assumed things just display in order of drafting.

Not disputing that there might be a more intelligent system in place mind you, I've just been very set in my ways, but when I do things out of order, I will have to make minor adjustments (which is fine).
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
Erwin wrote:
Barry, if I draft my walls and after that add a slab, the contour line of the slab will be 'on top' of the walls. This is why I allways assumed things just display in order of drafting.
Hmm, not for me it seems.
I wonder if there is a setting I have forgotten about.
I just tried with both symbolic and projected walls and then placed a slab afterwards.
In the default AUS template so I no it has nothing to do with my template.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I can't get it to work that way now either. I may just be stuck in AC10 mentally or something.

Or I'm thinking about door openings and lines showing, I don't know anymore. Maybe I need more coffee.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
The manual reads as you say, but it is a little unclear if beams, walls, slab, columns, etc., are all the same class.
For me the slab is always behind - even with a cover fill.

But I did notice that columns (and possibly other elements but not slabs) will be in front depending on the strength of their structure (building material).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27