Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Demolition in phases

cmorel
Participant
1 - I have a building on which the demolition is done in phases.
2 - I need to work in a single file because CA on phase I is happening while design of phase II and schematics of phase III take place and modification in phase I will impact the other phases.
3 - I can't show all the demo on a single plan using graphic override because of item 2.
4- for each phases, I need to issue demo and proposed drawings.

How do you handle such a situation?
Pinning new elements to phases is easy, but we can't pin demo-ed elements, so ...?
Caroline
AC 19 - 27 USA
OS Sonoma
MacBook Pro - 32GB
11 REPLIES 11
Eric Milberger
Advocate
Why cant you use different reference files all in one master file
Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe you should not use the Renovation Status of elements to drive what is overwritten and what is not.
You could create a Property for your elements, with the name "Phase" or something similar.
You would create an Option Set for the Property that would contain all Phases, including "Demolition Phase 1", "Demolition Phase 2", etc.
Then, you would create Graphic Override Rules that would override elements according to your requirements.
For example, for "Demolition Phase 2", elements with "Existing" and "Demolition Phase 1" Property values would not be overridden, while elements with the "Demolition Phase 2" Property value would be overridden with the Demolition override.

If you think about it, Renovation Filter Override Rules are also Graphic Override Rules, only with their Criteria hard-wired to be dependent upon the "Renovation Status" parameter. So with this solution, you would circumvent this built-in solution and define your own Phases and override rules.
I hope this explanation makes sense.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
cmorel
Participant
it does make sense. will give it a try. thanks
Caroline
AC 19 - 27 USA
OS Sonoma
MacBook Pro - 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is one thing to add to this method:
The one disadvantage of Graphic Overrides to Renovation Filters is that Graphic Overrides cannot make an element hidden. So if you also need elements to be hidden, you may have to use Layers as well to achieve that.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eric Milberger
Advocate
Just talked to my guy at one of the largest construction companies in the world and he said that is their job.
But I do see where this could be a link through a product like ProCore or something more robust where...when hte contractor sets the phasing of construction our model brings in their input.

They do this already - but in a one direction way - they take a all the models and bring them in creating a video and process showing the phased construction. This from other cad and into TwinMotion.

This could be something better than a translator but the use of Architcad by the Contractor to bring in all the data the Architect does not already have in the model. Then they inputs phasing of a construction from start to finish - IN the archicad model - updating thing that we have placed in our very narrow New-Existing-Demo

Construction Phasing should be unlimited in division but in a linear fashion as time for construction is linear not 3d
Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
cmorel
Participant
LaszloNagy wrote:
The one disadvantage of Graphic Overrides to Renovation Filters is that Graphic Overrides cannot make an element hidden. So if you also need elements to be hidden, you may have to use Layers as well to achieve that.
I guess the other disadvantage is when exporting to IFC for Revit user consultants.
I would need to map this property to the IFC phasing category.
Caroline
AC 19 - 27 USA
OS Sonoma
MacBook Pro - 32GB
cmorel
Participant
LaszloNagy wrote:
is AC25 solving this?
This isn't really working! I have been struggling with this problem for a while.
Windows and doors can't be assigned to layers.
and I have to deal with my consultants' files every time they have an update.
Please tell me that Graphisoft is working to introduce a hierarchy of Phase AND renovation.
Caroline
AC 19 - 27 USA
OS Sonoma
MacBook Pro - 32GB
Podolsky
Ace
Nothing been done about it. Unfortunately. But it so simple - just add additional feature in Graphic Override 'hide element'. Just silly. I wrote about it also and made a wish - why such important wishes are ignored, especially when developers are touching areas that were discussed by users?
Also they could introduce time line to control on which stage construction happens in specific date and hour. This time line can be combined with sun study.

I imagine developers must work this way: okey, we are developing version 25. This is our confidential development roadmap. We plan to introduce features of texture fills in Elevations. And do some changes in Graphic Overrides. But what our users asked on forum? Bring here ALL wishes related to Elevations and Graphical Overrides, we will read all of them, review, will ignore silly ones but will pay extra attention to clever ones and will deliver to users what they asked for.

Is it happens this way?

Well, I can admit, wishes are implemented sometimes. Once I left my review of curtain wall and asked for custom classes for CW members, not fixed as it was initially. And I have found in new version exactly feature I asked. That was cool. But that was more like miracle for me.
I wonder if the Construction Simulation goodie might be helpful? I haven't used it, so don't know, but may be worth checking out.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10