Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Details aren't "live"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
First post to this forum, new(ish) Archicad user (longtime Revit user).

I'm trying to find out how to do a detail callout that is "live" so that when the wall section changes, the detail also changes (this is supposed to be BIM after all).

I've created a composite wall (see screenshots) and an intersecting floor. I've done nothing with the Priority Based Connections or assigning priorities to anything.

In Revit, if you create a callout of something (plan or section), all of the model elements are "live" and actually show the modeled items. It appears in the callout that I've created, everything has been changed to linework.

What am I missing?

JM
25 REPLIES 25
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Barry wrote:
My wish is that details and worksheets were live with the model with the option to change them to 'Drawing' just like we can now with sections and elevations (that's why I use sections for details).

Barry.
+1
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
My wish is that details and worksheets were live with the model with the option to change them to 'Drawing' just like we can now with sections and elevations (that's why I use sections for details).

Barry.
The way that this works in Revit is that the model is always live (sections, details [plan or section]). Any "annotation" that you put in those views (including detail items like a 2x member for example), stays there as the model updates live. What is great about that is that you can use the sections/details to check the design and back and forth. Make a change in the model, check the detail and modify as needed or detail in a different way as a response to the model.

I know that this gets into how much you "model" versus how much "dumb" linework you do which is more architectural depiction philosophy versus software.

Thanks again.
rgarand
Booster
I tend to "regen from model" with my details...sure it is an extra step and it is not considered live, but seems to work just fine. Revit may be live, but you still need to update all of your 2D items accordingly.

When I start modeling this much detail I tend to ask myself if I really need it and if the budget can take the hit.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
DGSketcher
Legend
I don't see the benefit of live details. The level of detail in the model is usually far from being accurate enough for say a 1:5 detail with fixings, membranes and complex manufacturers profiles. In my workflow I use the detail tool to create the basic line work, adapt it to suit and if necessary use the trace option to check any changes in the live source.

I agree it would be useful to keep a detail live while the drawing set is being developed but I would definitely want to be able to break the link once additional 2D information is added.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
DGSketcher wrote:
I don't see the benefit of live details. The level of detail in the model is usually far from being accurate enough for say a 1:5 detail with fixings, membranes and complex manufacturers profiles. In my workflow I use the detail tool to create the basic line work, adapt it to suit and if necessary use the trace option to check any changes in the live source.

I agree it would be useful to keep a detail live while the drawing set is being developed but I would definitely want to be able to break the link once additional 2D information is added.
+1
Professor Pickle
Advocate
DGSketcher wrote:

I think that you are confusing level of detail with model accuracy. If your model is not accurate then what's the point to it in the first place? A wall must be placed in the exact location in your model. It is paramount that it's not even a millimeter out. On the other hand, what that wall has inside of it is up to you and you can show it in your details views by tracing over the live model. So you don't have to model everything but you have to be accurate.

Having a live model is extremely useful as any changes in the model immediately stand out in your detail views as your 2D details no longer line up with the live model.

Your model is the canonical source of truth for the project. Everything else is subordinate to the model. That is the nature of BIM. Note, that you don't have to subscribe to this philosophy 😉
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

DGSketcher
Legend
Tom, Much has changed since that was written 5 years ago! AC and computing power continue to evolve but from an AC development perspective, as was mentioned by others in this thread, there is an underlying need for Details & Worksheets to have a controllable Auto-Rebuild option. If nothing else it would at least bring AC in line with some other software.

I believe your philosophy is sound.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
DGSketcher
Legend
Just a suggestion, as I have only recently discovered the option, but live details on plan are technically available via "3D document from plan". Be interested to hear the +ve & -ve experiences of anyone who has already tried or is using the workflow?
JaseBee
Advocate
I've tried the 'Live Details' method just for a personal project @DGSketcher, not for a full set of documentation drawings.

I thought it was good because you could set up a bunch of them at critical positions around your project and keep flicking back to them as the project evolves to check how things are lining up and interacting.

I used unlinked detail markers for keeping track of where the marquees were placed for redefining 3D view positions as elements moved. (also utilised limited view sections for vertical plane details)

Problems encountered were:
Little bit of time and effort involved in setup and repositioning if required (especially with using unlinked markers to keep track of things)
Automatic back referencing can't be achieved
Doesn't work well with clone folders (view map gets pretty big and redundant pretty quick)

on the whole I liked it, if i were calling the shots i'd put a bit more effort into utilising it for projects.

I think the instant feedback of how your connections are working is invaluable.
AC 24 5004 AUS
iMac OSX (10.13.6) 4.2ghz i7
8gb ram/8gb vram
DGSketcher
Legend
Thanks, I have similar findings. Depending on graphic requirements in some ways it is clearer, in others it can’t match a standard projected 2D plan with door swing opening marks. The biggest benefit for me is not having to hit rebuild and find all my dimensions & labels become static in my details. The other big help is correctly displaying roof framing layouts with a correct z order projection, no more messing around with the display order moving beams below rafters etc.