Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension Tolerances - see attached

rob2218
Enthusiast
how to accomplish?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
8 REPLIES 8
not sure this is a question about the tool so much as about the strategy. Imaging you're the framer on site who will have to deal with the 1/8ths of an inch you buried in imprecise dimensions. Rationalize the building via the model.

don't despair - read the Shoegnome blog post published last week.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
rob2218
Enthusiast
you have a link for that Shoenogme post please.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
i wasn't talking about sloppy modelling. rather, I was talking about rationing dimensions so that you accomplish two things - in order:

a) give the client the best possible building - what they want
b) don't insult the intelligence of the contractor and their framer.

BTW - this is my 1000th post. it only took me a bit more than twelve years to get here. what a great journey. :- )
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
rob2218
Enthusiast
I hear your words.....but...the reality is...the client (the architect) wants what he wants....and I didn't mean to imply sloppy drafting either. I'm very maticulous about my precision.
Aaron wrote:
i wasn't talking about sloppy modelling. rather, I was talking about rationing dimensions so that you accomplish two things - in order:

a) give the client the best possible building - what they want
b) don't insult the intelligence of the contractor and their framer.

BTW - this is my 1000th post. it only took me a bit more than twelve years to get here. what a great journey. :- )
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Aaron,

Congratulations on your 1000th post ! I'm still working on 500.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
If both dimensions said 2' 1/2" the overall dimension would not add up to the same as both dimensions reading 2' 1/4" at the higher accuracy. So I guess Archicad is making sure the overall dimension string is showing the correct total.

Personally, I would show the outer dimensions as "Equal"
The level of precision the dimensions are displayed at is not only for the sake of the Carpenter.

It is also for the sake of verifying the precision and accuracy of the computer model, checking dimension chains, finding small differences in the schedules.

Dimensions on a plan are also not entirely for the sake of measurements.

For example, the reason to show a wall height dimension of 8'-1 1/8" is because this is how the carpenter knows you are indicating 92 5/8" studs.
I could list many other examples but you get the point I am sure.

A piece of solid sawn lumber has nominal size, an actual size, and a theoretical size.

We use the theoretical size in making the Plans with a computer.
This is why it is very important for both the builder and the CAD Technician to understand why things are dimensioned the way they are.
Partly for the sake of the computer, and partly for the sake of the carpenter.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25