BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having trouble with the dimension tool... it worked fine to mark arc dimensions throughout the drawing and then after it was saved and closed and opened back up the tool mysteriously stops working. This is happening to multiple people on or team. I've tried changing a few different settings but nothing seems to be working. Can someone help me troubleshoot?
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Ideally we would need to see a short video capture of you trying to use the tool to see if we can spot what the problem is.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe this screenshot will help... You can see where we added other arc dimensions, but all of a sudden the tool will not work. When I click or highlight that other arc with the dimension tool nothing happens.
Barry Kelly
Looks like you are trying to use the wrong dimension tool.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Barry, he is trying to dimension arcs, not radii, so the tool is fine.

ak,
Can you try something? What happens if you display only the layers where those arcs and dimensions are located and hide all other layers.
Can you dimension the arcs then? Maybe those arcs overlap some other elements and that causes the problem.
Also, are you sure those are real arcs? For example, elliptic arcs and splines cannot be dimensioned since they are not true arcs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
LaszloNagy wrote:
Barry, he is trying to dimension arcs, not radii, so the tool is fine.

Yes of course, sorry.
I can see now.
For some reason I just focussed on the radii dimensions.

LaszloNagy wrote:
Also, are you sure those are real arcs? For example, elliptic arcs and splines cannot be dimensioned since they are not true arcs.

If the fill or slab was magic wanded from an ellipse with best match method, it will create a series of small arcs.
As Laszlo suggested, if that fill or slab overlaps the original ellipse, then you may have trouble dimensioning it, as it is trying to dimension the ellipse (which it can't do).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestions. Neither of those seemed to work though. I isolated one of the layers, which are walls, and tried to dimension those with no luck. The funny thing about it though is that some of the walls were dimensioned a few weeks ago using the same method and the tool worked fine. It seems to stop working, on this project and other projects we have, after we take a break from working on it. Any additional ideas?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you can upload a file somewhere or part of a file where the issue is present, I guess we could take a look and see if we can find out the cause.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!