BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension tool adds witness lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
The attachment did not show - I have changed its name and reattached. I think it violated size restrictions.

I am using the dimension tool. As noted on the attachment, I clicked on a grid line and then on the edge of a stair but got a bunch of additional dimensions between these two points. Why is this? How do I stop it?

Also, the dimension tool would not select the grid line; the gridline would not highlight, only the wall. If I tried clicking on the gridline without it highlighting the dimension tool would dimension the wall thickness.

If I use the automatic dimensioning function for the exterior, is there a function that allows me to remove points in a dimension string that I do not want?
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michael wrote:
The attachment did not show - I have changed its name and reattached. I think it violated size restrictions.

I am using the dimension tool. As noted on the attachment, I clicked on a grid line and then on the edge of a stair but got a bunch of additional dimensions between these two points. Why is this? How do I stop it?

Also, the dimension tool would not select the grid line; the gridline would not highlight, only the wall. If I tried clicking on the gridline without it highlighting the dimension tool would dimension the wall thickness.

If I use the automatic dimensioning function for the exterior, is there a function that allows me to remove points in a dimension string that I do not want?
I think you need to click on a node of the gridline to dimension to it, not a point along the line itself.
Also, to remove a dimension node SHIFT-click on the node (so you are selecting just one node) and then hit Delete. Or if you want to remove a dimension in the middle of a string SHIFT-click on the midpoint of the dimension you want to remove (must be the midpoint or you will select the whole string), then delete. In the example below - SHIFT-click at "A" to remove the node and combine the 900 and 2310 dimensions. SHIFT-click at "B" to remove the 2310 dimension and leave a gap between the 900 and 380 dimensions.
Learn and get certified!