Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensions are not associative.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am just starting to use Archicad 23 after switch ing for Archicad 11 that I have used for years. For some reason, when I add dimensions (in plan view) they are not associative. I will dimension to a wall, for example, then if I move the wall the dimension stays there and does move with the wall. How can I fix this and make it associative?
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Make sure you don't have the 'Static Dimension' option turned on in the dimension settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Make sure you don't have the 'Static Dimension' option turned on in the dimension settings.

Barry.

Thank you. I checked and "Static Dimension" option is not turned on.
Barry Kelly
When placing the dimension points, are you getting a round crosshair symbol or a square one?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know what happened. I opened the file again and now the when I add dimensions they are associative. I don't know what changed.

Thanks for the help.
dhnguyen
Contributor
I am running into this same problem, but I noticed it has to do with the "dot" on the midpoint of the window. If I put the dimension string on the "dot" side, the dimension string will move with it. How do I bring the dot to the exterior side so I can create the associative dimension string?
I tried removing the window and placing it with a new one but the window "dot" still shows up on the interior side of the wall.
Please see attached image
DNguyen

ArchiCAD 18- 25

(expert in AutoCAD, novice in ArchiCAD)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It seems to me that the selection dot is always on the bottom/left face of the Wall at the center of the Window.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
dhnguyen
Contributor
I just decided to delete the wall and re-draw it. When I place the window I made sure I choose the exterior side for the "sun" and that solves the problem.
DNguyen

ArchiCAD 18- 25

(expert in AutoCAD, novice in ArchiCAD)