Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensions disappearing from plan

Yvonne
Advocate
Anyone ever come across the issue where dimensions disappear?
It seems to be happening to one of our projects and the glitch seems to be when the dimensions are associated with columns.
AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
21 REPLIES 21
DGSketcher
Legend
You don't say which version of AC you have but from past experience I have recovered dimensions which have rearranged themselves by selecting all dimensions, open the Dialog box, don't change anything and click OK. If you are lucky everything will revert to where it should be.

If it is just columns and you are using a complex profile has it possibly been changed which could have impacted the dimension association points taken from the profile e.g. deleted hotspots?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
runxel
Legend
Yvonne wrote:
... dimensions are associated with columns.
This is a bug which is fixed in the newest build. (AC 24)
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our firm just switched over to v24 and we are all having this issue with dimensions disappearing from all sorts of drawings: plans, elevations, etc. In some instances the dimension is snapping it witness line somewhere off into space and other times the dimension itself has completely disappeared. When I add a new dimension string, the old string that had disappeared then returns.

MAJOR EFFING PROBLEM, GRAPHISOFT.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Syi wrote:
Our firm just switched over to v24 and we are all having this issue with dimensions disappearing from all sorts of drawings: plans, elevations, etc. In some instances the dimension is snapping it witness line somewhere off into space and other times the dimension itself has completely disappeared. When I add a new dimension string, the old string that had disappeared then returns.

MAJOR EFFING PROBLEM, GRAPHISOFT.
Hello,

Thank you very much for raising the issue and I am very sorry for the experience!

I'm wondering if this is something happens with a specific file or with all your files? I believe it happens right after migrating the file to Archicad 24, is that correct? As runxel mentioned above, I would like to know whether you have the latest build installed for Archicad 24 yet?

Furthermore, I would love to have a closer look at the file before and after migration, hopefully we will be able to reproduce the issue from scratch. Would it be possible for you to share the file with us, and (probably) a way to reproduce this issue?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

TracyGA
Contributor

I am working in v25 and am experiencing this with multiple projects...EXTREMELY frustrating and problematic!

Karl Ottenstein

@Yvonne Just in case this is something simple vs a bug:   have you checked your Renovation Filter (in the Renovation Palette - or the quicklink along the bottom of the screen) when in a view that shows the dimensions vs a view that does not --- and checked the renovation status of the dimension itself ('demolish' or 'new construction')?  That could be causing dimensions to appear and disappear if things were not set up properly.

Edit: Silly me.   Replied to a 6 month old post.  But, hopefully this might help someone searching for a similar issue....perhaps @TracyGA ?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

We had checked the renovation status, model view etc but i think its a bug because we haven't had the issue since. Thanks for replying ! 

AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

Agree with Yvonne.  The drawing is set up correctly and since everything is new on the project I'm working in the "new" renovation only.  Also, where I have a full string of the dimensions it usually doesn't delete the entire string.  Instead it will delete connections to window markers, wall cores, etc. so that I end up with only an overall dimension.

There is a known bug in AC25 that means dimensions loose their connections if the relevant hotspot is missing from a different view on the same storey e.g. you have one view at a cut height and another at a different height or the layers containing connections change so the hotspots are hidden. I am assured by GS that the fix is in the next update sometime before the year end...

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)