Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensions to profiled walls "jump"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All. I'm looking for help with an issue we're having. We model all our walls using complex profiles, with the stud space being the core and things like gyp. board, sheathing, and siding as finishes or other. On our floor plans, walls show "core only" and are dimensioned as such. However, if we are working in plan and then go to a 3D view and, say, rotate it, then go back to the plan view, the dimensions "jump" and now reference other parts of the profile that aren't cores. The fix is easy. We can select all the dimensions (one story at a time) and go into the selection settings and just hit OK and the dimensions go back to where they belong. However, if we forget to do this, we could pontentially send out drawings with incorrect dimensions. Has anyone encountered this? I have communicated with tech support and they have not had a solution. In my opinion, dimensions should never change without the user telling them to. I also checked projects done in AC22 and this problem doesn't occur. This glitch is huge for us and could lead to big problems in the field if we don't catch it. Converting all out walls to composites is just not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just checking in to see if Minh has had any success in finding a solution to this problem.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay! I just reminded the responsible developer yesterday about it, but it seems like we will need a bit more time to find out what is going on here! The problem is that we cannot reproduce it on a brand new file, that’s why it takes more time than usual!

I’m very sorry for the inconvenience! If this is an urgent situation, please let me know so that I can escalate the issue further!

Thank you very much for your understanding! Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Minh! I wouldn't say it is urgent, but it is definitely something I'd like to see fixed sooner rather than later. I've advised my team to always check dimensions before sending out any drawings, but if anyone forgets even once, we'll have a big problem on our hands, including angry builders and clients if something gets built incorrectly and has to be torn down and rebuilt.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Chris,

I just got in touch with the responsible developer for this case. We are still waiting for input from a couple of other people, it’s really a tough one! Hopefully we can have a definite answer by the end of this week!

Thank you very much for your response!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really appreciate your attention to this matter, Minh! The fact that your team thinks it's tough makes me feel a little better about not being able to solve it myself!
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your kind words! This is just a small thing I can do in order to make the product better, to help more people with their workflow!

We have finally got a conclusion to the issue. Unfortunately, the bad news is that, we could not find an easy workaround. If the issue keeps persisting, a possible workflow adjustment is to, maybe, keep the structure displays in sync between windows as long as possible when frequently switching away from the floorplan to a generic perspective 3D window.

The issue is related to anomalous dimension recalculation when switching to the 3D view, and the dimensions (wrongly) use the Partial Structure Display settings of the 3D window when recalculating.

The good news is that, we have registered this as a defect in our system! I hope that we will be able to find a solution in time for the next update releases!

I am very sorry that we cannot find an easy way to fix this issue on the current file. I would like to send my sincere apology to your team for the trouble that this is causing! Thank you very much for raising the issue!

I wish you all the best, and stay safe!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Minh,

I hadn't checked this forum for a while. Too bad you couldn't find a solution, but I do thank you for trying. I really hope this gets solved in the next update. I'm a huge ArchiCAD fan, but this one glitch is really troublesome. I'm amazed that no one else has ever reported experiencing this!
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Chris,

I hope you and your loved ones are safe and sound during these trying times!

Thank you for your understanding and for your enthusiasm! This glitch is definitely a rare one, as this is the only report we ever received about such behavior!

Once again, thank you for the report! Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Andy Melaragno
Booster
I too just encountered this issue with one of my drawings. Please fix it! It is unsettling that these dimensions jump around like this on their own. I feel that I cannot trust my dimensions now.
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

AC 24 / 25 / 26 USA | Windows 10 Pro | GeForce RTX 2060 Super | 32 GB |Intel i7-8700K @3.70 Ghz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm relieved to see someone else is having the same issue. This must be fixed! I have to many things to keep track of to always have to be worried about my dimensions being wrong! If Minh is still following this thread, do you have any updates on a solution? It is the one nagging issue I'm having with ArchiCAD. This was an issue at one time in AC22, but at some point it was fixed.