Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensions to profiled walls "jump"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All. I'm looking for help with an issue we're having. We model all our walls using complex profiles, with the stud space being the core and things like gyp. board, sheathing, and siding as finishes or other. On our floor plans, walls show "core only" and are dimensioned as such. However, if we are working in plan and then go to a 3D view and, say, rotate it, then go back to the plan view, the dimensions "jump" and now reference other parts of the profile that aren't cores. The fix is easy. We can select all the dimensions (one story at a time) and go into the selection settings and just hit OK and the dimensions go back to where they belong. However, if we forget to do this, we could pontentially send out drawings with incorrect dimensions. Has anyone encountered this? I have communicated with tech support and they have not had a solution. In my opinion, dimensions should never change without the user telling them to. I also checked projects done in AC22 and this problem doesn't occur. This glitch is huge for us and could lead to big problems in the field if we don't catch it. Converting all out walls to composites is just not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
35 REPLIES 35
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all,

Thank you for your report and I am very sorry about the issue!

This defect is still being worked on and it is scheduled to be released with the third update of ARCHICAD 23. Had we found it earlier, we could have made a fix for this in update 2 at least! I am very sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a heads up. This is still an issue in AC24. I can't tell you how frustrating this is! All these new features, yet I have to constantly be keeping track of whether my dimensions are correct! FYI, this is not an issue in AC22.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the report, and I am very sorry about the experience!

Unfortunately, the bug was reported shortly before we wrapped up the development of Archicad 23's second update, therefore, it was delayed until the third update for Archicad 23. The same thing happened on Archicad 24 as well. I'm very sorry that we were unable to deliver a fix for this issue sooner! Thank you for your understanding, and once again, I am truly, truly sorry for the troubles that this issue is causing!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too have the same exact problem in 23 with profile walls, very annoying. Switching from plan view to 3d or elev/sec and then back to plan view the dimensions change. The only fix is to select all dims and open settings then press "OK" and the dims change back to normal. And now the same thing in 24. But in 23 when the dimensions changed and you switch to the floor plan in layouts the dims would update and change back to normal, so it wasn't so much of an issue because you knew once you published your layouts the drawings/dimensions would be correct. But not in 24, the layouts do not update the dimensions, even if you update the drawing on the layout.

Hopefully this can be fixed.

Jim
Anonymous
Not applicable
This glitch has been fixed for AC23 in the latest Hotfix (5010), but it is still an issue in AC24. Why!? Graphisoft needs to fix this once and for all!!!! It is such a potentially harmful issue for people who release construction docs. Dimensions should never change position. Please get this resolved ASAP so that we never have to think about it again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I take that back. This is still an issue in AC23. THIS IS A HUGE GLITCH THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED AND RESOLVED ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for noticing us and I am very sorry that the issue is still happening in Archicad 23.

Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties, the fix for this bug could only be made for Archicad 24 in Update 2 only. To get rid of this issue, we need to upgrade to Archicad 24.

I can totally understand your frustration, but sadly we were unable to make the fix compatible with Archicad 23. I am very sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you very much for your understanding!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
mnguyen wrote:
Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties, the fix for this bug could only be made for Archicad 24 in Update 2 only. To get rid of this issue, we need to upgrade to Archicad 24.
Best regards,
Minh
Oh, I wish this were true! I'm running AC24 5000 USA FULL, and my dimensions just "jumped" as Chris had initially described. The jump was exactly 1.25" in a few dimension strings. The 4 1/4" dimensions previously read as 5 1/2" and the 2 1/4" dimensions previously read as 3 1/2". The only way to fix them is to select them, go into the settings and then press OK. This is not OK. When this happens, I lose faith in the dimension strings on other drawings within my drawing set and it takes time (time that I don't have) to open each view, select all of the dimensions and then press OK.

See image at link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ona9vkcshs3agwg/Jump.png?dl=0

I hope that this gets fixed ASAP. It's gone on far too long.
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
jffgrffn wrote:

Oh, I wish this were true! I'm running AC24 5000 USA FULL, and my dimensions just "jumped" as Chris had initially described. The jump was exactly 1.25" in a few dimension strings. The 4 1/4" dimensions previously read as 5 1/2" and the 2 1/4" dimensions previously read as 3 1/2". The only way to fix them is to select them, go into the settings and then press OK. This is not OK. When this happens, I lose faith in the dimension strings on other drawings within my drawing set and it takes time (time that I don't have) to open each view, select all of the dimensions and then press OK.

See image at link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ona9vkcshs3agwg/Jump.png?dl=0

I hope that this gets fixed ASAP. It's gone on far too long.
Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry about the issue!

I just tested the problem again using Archicad 24 4018 and 5000 INT with the problematic file in Arhcicad 23. It fixed the problem and no dimension jumping after switching tabs.

I'm wondering if you can share with us the file and the exact steps to reproduce the issue? This could be another case that is not similar to what Chris reported. Please let me know if you need a secure place to upload the file also!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
Hi Minh,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'd be happy to share the file with you, however I don't know what is triggering this defect, so I'm unable to reproduce the issue. I don't (and shouldn't have to) check all of my dimension strings after every command! You should be able to dimension something and then move on to other work, without having to constantly revisit dimensions that have already been placed, right? As you may have noticed from my screenshot, all of the dimensions don't "jump". Only certain ones did. Some 5 1/2" & 3 1/2" dimensions (on the left side of the image) remained correct while others were defective in my screenshot where indicated in the red boxes. I wasn't even working on that part of the drawing at the time. All of these dimensions were placed months ago and no walls were changed or moved in quite some time. The moment I noticed that the dimensions had "jumped", I was projecting some guidelines from a trace reference of a building section onto a floor plan that I was working on to help me establish where a new room had less than 6'-8" head height below a roof. Naturally, running through those same steps again this morning didn't trigger the defect.

Please let me know where to send the PLA file and how to send it.

Thanks Minh!
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).