Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensions to profiled walls "jump"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All. I'm looking for help with an issue we're having. We model all our walls using complex profiles, with the stud space being the core and things like gyp. board, sheathing, and siding as finishes or other. On our floor plans, walls show "core only" and are dimensioned as such. However, if we are working in plan and then go to a 3D view and, say, rotate it, then go back to the plan view, the dimensions "jump" and now reference other parts of the profile that aren't cores. The fix is easy. We can select all the dimensions (one story at a time) and go into the selection settings and just hit OK and the dimensions go back to where they belong. However, if we forget to do this, we could pontentially send out drawings with incorrect dimensions. Has anyone encountered this? I have communicated with tech support and they have not had a solution. In my opinion, dimensions should never change without the user telling them to. I also checked projects done in AC22 and this problem doesn't occur. This glitch is huge for us and could lead to big problems in the field if we don't catch it. Converting all out walls to composites is just not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
35 REPLIES 35
runxel
Legend
Just a small question:
Have you tried "Open & Repair" with your file in the newest build?
This should - in theory - be enough and everything should be back to working normal after that.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
Thanks for your suggestion! I just attempted that and was able to repair my PLN. Hopefully that takes care of it. If not, I'll update this post. Thanks again.
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all,

Thank you for the suggestion, runxel! Yes, Open & Repair might be a good solution (although the issue reported in this thread can only be fixed via the update). Anyhow, please let me know if it helps or whether you will need a deeper investigation!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
Dimensions are "jumping" again, this time in a BIMcloud SaaS project (AC24 6000 USA). Open with Repair isn't an option. Any ideas on how to fix this? See images in link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l97osj11l9d8irl/AAC7Rmpbtec8PpvBDSZFal6Da?dl=0
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

As it happens on a BIMcloud project, my colleague gave me some suggestions on what we can try in this case:

1 - reupload the file,
2 - ask one user to reserve all, then send&receive
3 - preference cleaning and try 1 and 2 again.
Note: Please make sure to export all your customized data and write down your BIMcloud address, user, and password. Preference cleaning will erase this info
If it does not work, or works but every day you need to redo it, we will need the Support package.

But first, I would like to know whether the suggestions above help with the issue!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh,

Shortly after sending my last inquiry, the project was taken out of BIMcloud and saved as a standalone PLN. Well, today upon publishing a PDF, I noticed that some of the dimensions (which were placed months ago and haven't been edited since) are jumping around again. I saved & closed the file and then upon opening the PLN the next time, I opened with the repair option and overwrote the previous PLN with the repaired PLN. Some of the dimensions also jumped around in the repaired PLN. Only after opening each layout, selecting the drawing and then clicking "refresh" was I able to publish a PDF without dimension issues. This is unacceptable. 

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or if you would like me to send in a PLA for evaluation.

Thanks Minh.

Jeff