Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Displacement - Triangulation Issue

derekjackson
Enthusiast
Hi,
I'm playing around with CineRender's Brick shader, and trying to get some convincing results when using it in conjunction with Displacement.

I've just done a test render and there seem to be some real oddities. The shadows between the bricks appear larger and blurred in certain areas (boxed in red). There's also a weird diagonal artefact on the first floor. The wall is one consistent element, yet the change seems to be related to window position. I can only assume it's something to do with how the wall is triangulated at render time.

Has anyone else had this? Is it a PhotoRendering setting that I've got wrong, or a bug of some sort? Any advice welcome!
8 REPLIES 8
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
How big of a displacement are we talking? I generally start modelling anything from 10 mm up. The few times I've tried displacement the render times were rediculously long.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
derekjackson
Enthusiast
10mm. Render took about 3 hours, so using Displacement seems plausible for the odd shot - if it looks okay!
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
3 hours is too long for me

We do a lot of renders for clients and try to keep them at around 5 mins max for exteriors, where we finish things off with a bit of photoshop.

Creating a pattern in a complex profile won't take very long and the render without displacement will be fast.

I did notice some weird behaviour when I was still trying stuff out with cinerender around AC18 times to get to a mode where we are now with render times nice and fast and decent enough results.

I think the best results were with creating a morph plane with subdivision that sat on top of the actual surface. It's been a few years, so maybe someone else who is actually using this stuff can shed more light on the subject.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
derekjackson
Enthusiast
Hmm - a morph plane would be a major hassle, given that we're still shuffling window positions around.

Shame that the Displacement shader can't be relied upon - the bits that worked look great!

Has anyone found a way around the issue via settings in the Displacement shader options?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Thinking back this might have been sub polygon displacement.

Just had a look at the help for this: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/77481/

Not overly thrilled by the results for bricks there. Edges are too rounded / soft to be believable, IMO.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
derekjackson
Enthusiast
Well I'm trying the sub-divided Morph plane trick to see if that works. I can always up the SPD number too...

Yep, the rounded bricks don't look too good up close, but it should work well from a distance - mortar shadows relating to sun position, nice silhouettes on building edges, etc...
Lingwisyer
Guru
If you use a Normal map instead, I do not think you get the rounded effect.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
derekjackson
Enthusiast
True, but you don't get the nice silhouette either...

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!