BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Displacement - Triangulation Issue

derekjackson
Advocate
Hi,
I'm playing around with CineRender's Brick shader, and trying to get some convincing results when using it in conjunction with Displacement.

I've just done a test render and there seem to be some real oddities. The shadows between the bricks appear larger and blurred in certain areas (boxed in red). There's also a weird diagonal artefact on the first floor. The wall is one consistent element, yet the change seems to be related to window position. I can only assume it's something to do with how the wall is triangulated at render time.

Has anyone else had this? Is it a PhotoRendering setting that I've got wrong, or a bug of some sort? Any advice welcome!
8 REPLIES 8
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
How big of a displacement are we talking? I generally start modelling anything from 10 mm up. The few times I've tried displacement the render times were rediculously long.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
derekjackson
Advocate
10mm. Render took about 3 hours, so using Displacement seems plausible for the odd shot - if it looks okay!
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
3 hours is too long for me

We do a lot of renders for clients and try to keep them at around 5 mins max for exteriors, where we finish things off with a bit of photoshop.

Creating a pattern in a complex profile won't take very long and the render without displacement will be fast.

I did notice some weird behaviour when I was still trying stuff out with cinerender around AC18 times to get to a mode where we are now with render times nice and fast and decent enough results.

I think the best results were with creating a morph plane with subdivision that sat on top of the actual surface. It's been a few years, so maybe someone else who is actually using this stuff can shed more light on the subject.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
derekjackson
Advocate
Hmm - a morph plane would be a major hassle, given that we're still shuffling window positions around.

Shame that the Displacement shader can't be relied upon - the bits that worked look great!

Has anyone found a way around the issue via settings in the Displacement shader options?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Thinking back this might have been sub polygon displacement.

Just had a look at the help for this: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/77481/

Not overly thrilled by the results for bricks there. Edges are too rounded / soft to be believable, IMO.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
derekjackson
Advocate
Well I'm trying the sub-divided Morph plane trick to see if that works. I can always up the SPD number too...

Yep, the rounded bricks don't look too good up close, but it should work well from a distance - mortar shadows relating to sun position, nice silhouettes on building edges, etc...
Lingwisyer
Guru
If you use a Normal map instead, I do not think you get the rounded effect.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
derekjackson
Advocate
True, but you don't get the nice silhouette either...
Learn and get certified!