BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Displaying full outlines of joined objects (section view)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I cannot figure it out how to display full (not-intersected) outlines of elements that are joined together and share the same building material.

Instead of uniform merged areas:

... I would like to show outlines of individual beam and column objects, similar to this:
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could try changing the inersection priority of the layers in the Layer dialog Box. The

Make sure you update any relavant layer combinations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Changing intersection priority prevents the elements from intersecting altogether and breaks the model. It also seems wrong to place objects into different layers while they logically belong together.

Now I found the relevant part in the docs (Graphisoft calls this behavior "line elimination") and it appears that lines are always eliminated in all viewpoints, except Floor Plan (why?). The proposed solution is the same - assigning objects to different intersection groups. I expected Section viewpoint to behave more like Floor Plan - keeping lines.

I am not using AC professionally, but I imagine that there must be a lot of cases when one has to display individual pieces of multi-element assembly. How is this achieved in AC? By hand drawings?
Lingwisyer
Guru
If you duplicate your building material, then assign that second one to adjacent beams, you will get the dividing line.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Assigning separate materials works (you need to duplicate surfaces as well). Still, its a hack and takes some time.

Apparently, you can disable line elimination via registry, as discussed in this thread. Setting Disable Connections to 1 seems to do the trick in AC22. Changing this option affects all files on your machine and must be reapplied on other PCs or after reinstallation. Plus registry is not really meant to be edited manually.

Ideally, there would be an "Eliminate lines between identical surfaces" option exposed as elevation/section view setting. I guess, its a feature request.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The intersection combination can be view specific. So, for this particular view you could have the beam not interact with rim joist, blocking or whatever it is above it. For other views, like plan, 3D or section - you could set the intersections as needed to not 'break the model'.
kutas wrote:
Changing intersection priority prevents the elements from intersecting altogether and breaks the model. It also seems wrong to place objects into different layers while they logically belong together.
Learn and get certified!