Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Does anyone have a tip how to publish a decent PDF on Windows?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know it has been discussed but I've not seen a solution. The problem is this:
When published from Windows PCs the PDFs take minutes to open - if at all - and our associates are complaining. Since I am the only Mac user I'm constantly asked to republish everyone's files. What's puzzling is that pdfTron can generate a prime PDF on Mac and a useless one on Windows. The file size from Mac is also comparably small - 1.2 MB and on Windows 4.9! What's the deal?
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly
So you are publishing using "Print" to a 3rd party PDF converter (PDFTron)?

I find it is best to publish with the "Save" option and change the file format to PDF.
This uses Archicad's built-in PDF converter.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
+1 for Barry’s comment printing to PDF does not typically produce good PDFs on windows in comparison to built in save as PDF

regards
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am saving as PDF using the built in converter PDFTron PDFNet V6.40292 which is the same on Mac and Windows.
Barry Kelly
subatomic wrote:
I am saving as PDF using the built in converter PDFTron PDFNet V6.40292 which is the same on Mac and Windows.

I am not a MAC user but that does not sound like the built-in Archicad PDF converter to me.

In your Publisher Properties, do you have it set to 'Save Files' (not Print), and then just change the file format to PDF in the publisher set.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
@Barry, on Mac the AC Publisher pdf convertor name is exposed as PDFTron. I haven’t installed any third party publishers and that is what shows up in the published file metadata. Never had any reported issues with my AC Published files being opened on Windows. Looks like a Windows publishing issue...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly, as the title suggests.
Apple does not even allow 3rd party pdf printers. FWIW this is a Teamwork project and everyone uses the same publisher settings, which is of course save files.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No one? Not even from Graphisoft?
Lingwisyer
Guru
pdfTron is a PDF SDK, so it is probably something to do with the coding side of GS. If it was written using a language not common between the two platforms, maybe someone did not implement the optimizer in the same way. Only someone from GS could answer this, unless you can access the backend of the PDFs or something.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I wasn't aware that there are differences between PDF publishing on MAC and Windows.

I do know that using a lot of random dot pattern vectoricial (or otherwise 'busy' vectorial) fills makes for heavy and slow PDF and have adjusted to using these a bit more sparingly over the years.

Not saying there should be a difference, but as a workaround for the time being that might solve some problems.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5