Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Door / Window schedules - Wallhole size vs unit size

MGA
Booster
Hi all. I am making window and door schedules, and using the nominal sizes and upper / lower / left / right tolerances in the window settings to generate both the structural opening ('wallhole') size and door / window unit size in my schedules.

What I'd really like to include is an extra row in my schedule telling me what the tolerances are, per the settings.

Unfortunately, the tolerances are not listed under the available parameters in the window schedule scheme settings. I also cannot calculate them using expressions in properties, because the fields 'wallhole size' and 'unit size' are not available in the expressions editor!

Any ideas greatly appreciated, thanks.
Archicad 23 Solo, Dell Precision 5540, Windows 10 Pro, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz, 32GB RAM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
Strange that you want to include tolerances into schedule. If you are providing structural opening size and unit size - then it's obvious - you just take difference and divide on two. Usually tolerance is no more than 10mm - so who is going to measure exact tolerance on site during window installation?

But in any case - it's possible to extract tolerance from window and include into schedule. To do so in Schedule Scheme Settings you need to press arrow next to the button "Add Fields..." and choose "Library Part Parameters". Then in new window, that will show you available libraries, choose window object - for example Window 24. In left lower part will be shown all available parameters of the window. You need to choose gs_tolerance_left, gs_tolerance_right, gs_tolerance_lower, gs_tolerance_upper
When you select a variable - press button add and the variable will appear on the right side.

See screenshots for details.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
Strange that you want to include tolerances into schedule. If you are providing structural opening size and unit size - then it's obvious - you just take difference and divide on two. Usually tolerance is no more than 10mm - so who is going to measure exact tolerance on site during window installation?

But in any case - it's possible to extract tolerance from window and include into schedule. To do so in Schedule Scheme Settings you need to press arrow next to the button "Add Fields..." and choose "Library Part Parameters". Then in new window, that will show you available libraries, choose window object - for example Window 24. In left lower part will be shown all available parameters of the window. You need to choose gs_tolerance_left, gs_tolerance_right, gs_tolerance_lower, gs_tolerance_upper
When you select a variable - press button add and the variable will appear on the right side.

See screenshots for details.
MGA
Booster
This is a great answer thank you! I had not paid attention to the other options in the 'add fields' drop down menu - I am sure this will be very useful for many more applications in other schedules.

I also note that even though the parameter is taken from e.g. 'window 24' it applies to all the windows, including e.g. 'double window 24' so I don't need to add one row for each window type.

As to why, I appreciate it is a strange request, however I have run into similar problems a number of times, where I know the information exists, but cannot figure out how to extract it to a schedule. Hopefully that will now change following your advice. In this instance, I am coordinating the windows to block opening sizes, and the contractor is using different size packers in different locations at the heads and sills to make up the difference between the full block and the window unit (the window units have different height requirements to meet - e.g. distance from finished floor level, which don't neatly tie in with full block courses). I wanted to extract the tolerances specifically so I could check I had the right tolerances in the right place, and convey this information to the contactor.

Thanks again for your reply,
Archicad 23 Solo, Dell Precision 5540, Windows 10 Pro, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz, 32GB RAM
Podolsky
Ace
You're welcome. This way you can extract a lot of useful information form GDL objects. You even can create your own library of elements, that can be scheduled many different ways, extending standard ArchiCAD possibilities.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
MGA wrote:
I also note that even though the parameter is taken from e.g. 'window 24' it applies to all the windows, including e.g. 'double window 24' so I don't need to add one row for each window type.

In case you select a parameter from one of the GDL objects, such as a Window, if the other Windows have the same parameter, they will also properly display the parameter value in the schedule.
Archicad has so-called subtypes in GDL, for example, there are Window subtypes. A list of parameters is defined for a subtype (quite a number of parameters in the case of Doors and Windows, actually), and all GDL elements based on that subtype will inherit all those parameters.
Windows in the default Archicad library are all based on GRAPHISOFT-defined Window subtypes so they all have those parameters available, including the parameters you were using.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27