Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Doors are beign transformed into Objects in IFC

rnossanai
Participant

Hi!

When I export an IFC, some (not all) doors are transformed into objects. I can't find any difference in the model from the ones that are exported correctly and the ones that become objects. Can anybody help me?

Thanks 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I would first check the Classification assigned to all Doors.

I would create a quick Schedule that lists Doors with their Classifications included so I could quickly glance through the whole Schedule and check whether all Doors are correctly classified as "Doors".

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi! Thank you for the answer.

I did that and they are all classified "Doors" and as IfcDoor. But when I checked the walls, I realized some walls are IfcWall and some are IfcWallStandardCase (but they are all classified as "Walls"). I don't know whether this could be the problem...

I also thought the problem could be that most doors/windows that disappear are located in walls with Complex Profiles. But there are some exceptions, so I don't think that's the problem...

My main reason to figure this out is because I need to export an IFC so that another office can open it in Revit. They are not able to see some windows, when I export the way I'm doing right now. When I open the IFC in Archicad, these windows that they can't see are mostly objects (with some exceptions) while the visible ones are correctly showing as doors. So that's why I thought the problem was the "object", but I'm also not sure.

I also read about some cases that the problem was the Ifc Opening Element. That it was "hidding" the window/door. Could that be as issue?

Thank you very much.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Now I am confused. You say that you export Windows to IFC and they come back to Archicad as Doors?

It would be good to see a few screenshots as well as know the Archicad version you are using.

You could also check the exported IFC in a free IFC Viewer application to check if the IFC that goes out from Archicad has these data incorrect already in the IFC file, or maybe something goes wrong when the IFC is imported into Revit.

I think a Wall is exported as IfcWallStandardCase if it is a standard vertical basic Wall. But this changed in recent Archicad versions as well this is why it would be important to know which AC version you are using.

I don't know about those IfcOpeningElements in Revit, you may try to hide them in Revit and you will see if they overlap Doors/Windows.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27