Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Drag multiple saved views onto a layout creates multiple new layouts

Paul King
Advisor

I hope I am just missing some obvious technique or setting - but for the life of me I can no longer seem to drag a bunch of saved views from navigator list at once to the currently showing layout.  

I can drag a single saved view onto a layout, and it works as expected, but whenever my selection set in navigator contains more than one saved view, each view materialises in its own newly created layout, instead of on the currently displayed layout.

I have a lot of saved views to position per layout, and it seems unnecessarily cumbersome to have to drag each one individually, waiting for a number of seconds each time, before Archicad becomes responsive again.

Has it always been this way? 

I have set up a lot of layouts over the years, and don't remember this problem.

This is on Archicad 23 (sadly company policy in the firm I am freelancing to prevents using a more recent version)

PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

Have a look in the settings for the Master layout.

In there you can tell it to space the drawings or apply them to a grid.

Not sure if there is anything about creating new layouts (I don't have Archicad running at the moment to check).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry

Those controls certainly confirm that multiple views should be able to auto populate within a layout,  but I am not seeing anything in there that prevents or causes creation of new layouts per drawing.

This is the first time I recall this new layout per drawing issue – though your suggestion got me thinking that what may lie behind this issue is the large default size of each drawing I am seeing as it is first placed;  it contains a lot of empty space and exceeds the sheet size, so perhaps Archicad assumes a new layout is necessary to accommodate each default sized drawing coming in in a batch of drawings for geometric reasons?

Not sure why there is so much empty space by default – these are all internal elevations, and clicking ‘fit frame to drawing’ in drawing settings immediately resizes each drawing to correct /expected extents

Even though I have used eyedropper on a placed drawing that has the ‘fit frame to drawing’ parameter set, this is not influencing default for new drawings coming in for some reason.

Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop

This is the setting i was thinking of.

BarryKelly_0-1633570824778.png

I am not sure why the default drawing tool settings (fit to frame) are not influencing the newly placed drawings.

I did notice this just the other day but have not gotten around to investigating it yet.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Ah, yes, under the 'Auto Arrangement' button

Lingwisyer
Guru

Regarding the empty space in the Views and the "fit frame to drawing", would that not be related to the view Zooming? In which case you could just change your default from "Zoomed Area" to "Fit in Window"?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660