Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Drawings title - Cross references

Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Hello,

In general on documentation, we document from large scale to detail scale. Typically Site plan > GAs > Zone plans > Area callouts > Details.
Same with sections, Overall building 1:50 > Facade section 1:20 > Facade details 1:5 > Construction details 1:2 /1:1.

I was wondering if I could have my drawing title's head marker referring to the previous/next zoom level, for instance my facade detail 1:20 showing where this callout/zoom comes from. So if my overall section is on the page called A3001, my facade detail section header would show the drawing number (# placed in the sheet) on top, and the reference to the overall section below. That would help a lot to make the connexion between drawings.

I couldn't find that option on the drawing title option (I'm using the native Linear Drawing Title 23 in AC23).

(see attachment 1) The 1/A6001 callout in the overall section is a Linked marker to The selected drawing. So the callout head on the overall section is showing the drawing # and the sheet ID of the facade 1:20 placed on the A6001 page.

I can assume I'll have to create a custom title? But what would be the trick to ensure a BIM information reading, like to make sure that this principle we have with callout reading a specific drawing is applied to the title header (not using customs).

The same would apply to the callouts I make from that 1:20 section into construction / typical details. On detail drawings page, each detail drawing would have its title head marker showing the drawing # on that page and the sheet ID of where that was called out

Does it make sense? Am I missing or not knowing an existing function that allows it already? Would love to hear your opinion about this.

3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We don't use drawing titles (we use autotext placed on the views instead), but I think there is an option for 'back reference': https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/23/INT/#t=_AC23_Help%2F070_Documentation%2F070_Documentation-100.htm

Are you trying to have multiple tiers of back reference, maybe? I think that might not be possible, currently.

There is also a (very old) method of manually setting a drawing as reference, placing autotext that references this and (supposedly) if you set a new drawing as reference after that, the already placed autotext still works with the old reference. This seems very archaic though.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Erwin wrote:
We don't use drawing titles (we use autotext placed on the views instead), but I think there is an option for 'back reference': https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/23/INT/#t=_AC23_Help%2F070_Documentation%2F070_Documentation-100.htm

Are you trying to have multiple tiers of back reference, maybe? I think that might not be possible, currently.

There is also a (very old) method of manually setting a drawing as reference, placing autotext that references this and (supposedly) if you set a new drawing as reference after that, the already placed autotext still works with the old reference. This seems very archaic though.
I'll check that link out on Monday morning, I'm already 1h30 unpaid over hour.. Hopefully that will provide me the solution! Otherwise I will either use autotext or a callout head referring back to the overall section. Thanks for the trick!
Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Erwin wrote:

Update on the cross referencing.

I got the same issue as this guy, and I could see you did reply to his post.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=52665

Basically, you can only back-ref the source markers of the drawings. My problem is that I want to back reference one section to another section, or a detail to a section. In my case, I want my facade detail section 1:20 to cross reference my overall building section. On my overall building section I created a linked detail callout, linked to the selected drawing: Section 1:20 placed on its sheet. I did try to link the marker directly to the viewpoint, but still couldn't select it on the back-ref dialog.

All I can back ref is the plans where the section's source marker is placed/shown, and I've even tried this trick but since it's linked marker kind of process I can't back ref them... :
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=57053

So is there any way to show source section/elevation markers in sections and elevations? I mean by that the other sections that you might "see" on the section you're working in. Otherwise I can't see a way to back reference with this method.
And if not, do you reckon I could manage to create a title that would include a autotext refereeing to the drawing I want to refer to? I'm not certain what autotext/method you're using on your views, but could that somehow be included in a custom title header?
Erwin wrote:
We don't use drawing titles (we use autotext placed on the views instead)
The issue I can already think of is how to make sure that each drawing having that custom title refer to the right reference, which is what the Back reference is doing. I don't get why we don't have the option to refer a linked marker..