BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Dwight's book?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this will sound very cheeky but is there a "student" version of dwight's book on lightworks for us poor students who struggle to afford books and pay bills???

You are well within your rights to tell me to bugger off and not be so tight...

Thanks,

Mark
29 REPLIES 29
TomWaltz
Participant
Your best bet is probably to contact Dwight directly.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight will probably tell you to bugger off, and not be so tight. But in a more humourous way.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you checked to see if your college has a copy of the book? Otherwise, think of it as an investment in your future. Sell a liver or something if you must...
Anonymous
Not applicable
haha, uni doesn't have a copy and Im not sure student organs will fetch very much pal...could be something to do with all the beer.

by the way, whats it like to be an architect in new zealand? im looking into possibly doing my work experience there (although it has to be an ARB registered practice).
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not an architect, and i've only just returned from england myself, so hard to say what the industry is like over here. But I'm sure S2art (who commented earlier) or Ben Frost (who's all over the forum) can be more help.

cheers,
tom
Anonymous
Not applicable
I, too, am but a simple Draughtsman, but I'm sure you'd have a good time here. Architectural practices are many and varied, from small, one-man-bands (or slightly larger like ours, with only 2 Archs and 4 Draughtees) to large commercial practices with offices all over the country (eg. Jasmax, Chow Hill, have a look at the www.architecturenz.net site, linked from the NZIA website) and if you're any good I'm sure you'd be snapped up.

~archiben, self proclaimed architectural nomad, has probably seen more Architectural practices than me around the country (my last move between practices was 4 years ago, and just across the road...) and might be able to offer some advice.

Over to you, Ben...
__archiben
Booster
mark44 wrote:
by the way, whats it like to be an architect in new zealand? im looking into possibly doing my work experience there (although it has to be an ARB registered practice).
you're unlikely to have much success finding an ARB registered practice, although there are plenty of poms in this part of the world: i can't remember whether you just have to work under an ARB registered architect and that will suffice?

my opinion: just do it mate. registration can happen later! (i've never actually got around to it yet - too much to see in and do! ). there seems to be a good architectural climate at the moment, although i get a feeling that there needs to be a bit of a crash just to level things out a bit. from a construction point of view though, standards and materials are far lower and looser than the UK. that's not a negative criticism: just that you won't get the kind of exposure to construction techniques that you will eventually need to know for UK practice . . .

on the whole, i'm liking it here. i can design with a freedom i never had in the UK . . . (and that's more important than the client getting cold because kiwi's have never heard of insulation, right?! )
Tom wrote:
I'm not an architect, and i've only just returned from england myself...
where are you working tom? chch isn't that big, so you can't be too far away . . . i'm just on the edge of the centre: armagh street/durham street north . . .

ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Tom wrote:
I'm not an architect, and i've only just returned from england myself...
where are you working tom? chch isn't that big, so you can't be too far away . . . i'm just on the edge of the centre: armagh street/durham street north . . .
I'm teaching at the D+A College on Worcester St. Who are you working for?
Dwight
Newcomer
s2art wrote:
I, too, am but a simple Draughtsman
Nobody who has mastered Archicad as you have can be referred to as a simple draughtsman.

BTW: Peter Greenaway is working on a remake of his 1982 movie renamed
"The Building Information Model Manager's Contract."
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!