Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

ENLARGED PLANS VISIBILITY CONTROL

Johann_P
Advocate
Concerning dimensions:

I am busy with enlarged plans at scale 1:50.
Some of these plans overlap, ie. the kitchen plan overlaps with the washroom and elevator plan.

All these drawings are at scale 1:50 and share the same layer combinations.
I've created a layer called "dimensions 1:50" that is visible in the layer combination.

I don't need to show the elevator dimensions on the kitchen plan and vice versa, but considering that the plans overlap, the dimensions are displayed making the drawing difficult to read.

What would be the best way to control dimension visibility?
ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Put them in different layers and control via view settings using layer sets.
Johann_P
Advocate
Would this then be the best practice for drafting lines, annotations and dimension?
To create basically a "details & annotation" later for each view and a "layer combination" for each plan view?

I currently have multiple detail plans (stairs, washrooms, etc) fire plans, general layout plans which all reference the same storey.

It does seem that individual layers and layer combinations will solve it, I'm just wondering if this would be the best practice/workflow.
ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
Barry Kelly
Johann.P wrote:
Would this then be the best practice for drafting lines, annotations and dimension?
To create basically a "details & annotation" later for each view and a "layer combination" for each plan view?

If it works for you then it is best practice.

I have separate annotation layers for each scale.
I do all of my text, dimensioning and 2D line work in the one annotation layer, but you could spit them up further if you really want to.
When it comes to the larger scale (1:50 room layouts) I actually have 3 layers.
Purely because I want to show adjacent rooms individually with their own annotation that will overlap the adjacent rooms.

I then set up a layer combination that show the plan but not any of the annotation layers - just the plan.
I then have layer combinations that show just one annotation layer - so I have 3 separate annotation layer combinations.
I save views for each of these layer combinations.

Now on the layouts, I place the plan drawing (view) and crop it to show just the extents of one room.
I then overlay an annotation drawing (view) that shows the annotation layer that I want (1, 2 or 3) and crop that as necessary.
You can place a hotspot in a common layer (the Archicad layer), and this will help you to easily align the 2 drawings in the layout.

Here is an old post the describes what I do.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34976

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11