Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Elevations: Show colours through transparent surface?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all.

I have an elevation with a glass window, transparency switched on, can see through all ok. However nothing comes through in colour - its all hidden line?

When I remove the glass, or any surface that is transparent, colour is visible. Example attached.
The material is switched to full transparency, the vectorial hatching set to Empty Fill, and the elevation settings have cut surfaces in colour, transparency on etc.

Appreciate any help!
Thanks

JG
17 REPLIES 17
runxel
Legend
Yeah, that is not great.

There is a workaround: You have to set the glass material to be fully transparent. A full 100%.

One caveat tho: in 3D ... well, it will be kind of invisible now. However, if you set a vectorial fill for the material with a fixed pen, it will give you really neat looking sections/elevations, where the colors are blending just like you would expect.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Podolsky
Ace
You also can try this trick - if you expect to have perfect graphical representation. After you set glass to invisible and set to show vectoral fills for it, you can draw on top additional semi-transparent fill or use gradient fill, that goes from colour into transparency. See attached example.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for this - its already set to 100% and want 2D elevation so I can control view depth (marked distant area)

Surely Archicad allows for colour transparency?

JG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I just want glass or any 100% transparency to show objects that are located behind in colour. Doesnt seem to work in any method I use besides simply creating a blank hole in the wall - then I loose window frames and can't use window objects, glass door objects etc. But if I could get this to work, the fill over the top as you suggest is a good idea.

JG
Eduardo Rolon
Try using a GO to change the material of the window (including frames) to Airspace.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

runxel
Legend
grejxx wrote:
Yeah I just want glass or any 100% transparency to show objects that are located behind in colour. Doesnt seem to work in any method.
Did you tried what I wrote? It's definitely working. 🙂
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you try what I wrote? It's definitely working.

Yes, see my settings. All the same - still grey / hidden line?
I can use any glass/material with wall/slab/object and it is all the same.
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
grejxx wrote:
I can use any glass / material with wall / slab / object and its all the same
It's because your 25% vectorial hatch is obscuring anything behind it. Should change to a background or airspace fill.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
grejxx wrote:
I can use any glass / material with wall / slab / object and its all the same
It's because your 25% vectorial hatch is obscuring anything behind it. Should change to a background or airspace fill.
Thanks, i've tried airspace, background, empty fill etc...eg attached