BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Elevations: Show colours through transparent surface?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all.

I have an elevation with a glass window, transparency switched on, can see through all ok. However nothing comes through in colour - its all hidden line?

When I remove the glass, or any surface that is transparent, colour is visible. Example attached.
The material is switched to full transparency, the vectorial hatching set to Empty Fill, and the elevation settings have cut surfaces in colour, transparency on etc.

Appreciate any help!
Thanks

JG
17 REPLIES 17
runxel
Legend
But have a look James, it does work even when there is a vectorial fill being set.
As you can see it creates a nice transparency effect and it will blend the colors of the fill set in the surface material with the yellow wall behind.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Podolsky
Ace
What I see here - one person on Windows and another on MacOS. Same settings for glass surface, different result. Maybe also different versions of ArchiCAD?
Podolsky
Ace
OK. I know where the misery is hidden. What Runxel explains only works when thickness of glass panel set to zero and transparency is set to 100. In all other cases colour is disappearing.
Tested on ArchiCAD 24, Windows 11.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's because your 25% vectorial hatch is obscuring anything behind it. Should change to a background or airspace fill.

When I start a completely new file from scratch, and import this in with the same elevation markers and surfaces, it finally works? I'm using the same material and elevation settings - just a new file. I've tried exporting the environmental profile back into the existing file, however does nothing. I"m keen to not start from scratch and would love to know what obscure display setting is causing this
Podolsky
Ace
Are you able achieve colouring if your glass panel thickness is bigger then zero? How I understand this - ArchiCAD engine does not show colours through transparent objects. Only if ArchiCAD understands transparent surface as non-existing - that is achievable by both setting glass panel thickness to zero and transparency to 100% - then you can see colours, because ArchiCAD shows only contour and vectoral fill of glass panel, when 3D surface of it doesn't exist anymore and skipped from calculations.
runxel
Legend
Podolsky wrote:
Are you able achieve colouring if your glass panel thickness is bigger then zero?
Yes. In my screenshot the glass is actually a thin wall with a few centimeters in thickness!
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Podolsky
Ace
Then you have a magical ArchiCAD. I cannot reproduce in my computer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all of your comments, I appreciate the help.
After trying absolutely EVERYTHING, i stumbled on a post about Legacy Mode....finally this is fixed.
The files date back many years (Archicad 14 or so) and this gets selected I think be default.

Cheers

JG
Learn and get certified!