Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Elevations live Auto Rebuild or dead 2D drawings ?

mthd
Mentor

Hi to all who may be interested. What is the best way to create a 2D elevation drawing from an Auto Rebuild existing elevation that I have made ?

Some lines come up that I don’t want showing in my elevations after turning some pens off and on.

Do I save my view as a DWG and create a separate work sheet since I cannot explode a live auto rebuild elevation into a 2D drawing ?

What do you do to get around this situation with a minimum of fuss ?

I am using AC24 at present but haven’t used Archicad since way back in early 2014 or Archicad 17.

Thank you in advance.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

@mthd wrote:

If I can create a set of static grey scale elevations along with the live ones that are in colour, that would be ideal. So I would have to create another set of elevation markers and have them generate as drawings not auto rebuild ?

Yes, you will need a new elevation for each as those settings (auto-rebuild/drawing and colour) are stored in the actual elevation settings and not the view settings.

@mthd wrote:

I was hoping for another way around this problem ?

As DGSketcher said, worksheets (or details) will give you a 2D view of the elevation.

It won't be 'live' (but neither will a 2D drawing), but you can 'rebuild from source'.

Any 2D linework you have added will remain the same. But anything generated from the model will update (if you have deleted a line it will come back, or if you have moved a line it will move back to original position).

Another alternative may be 3D Document from the 3D window.

View the model an 'look to perpendicular' to the elevation you want.

Save as a 3D Document.

The difference to a worksheet is that it is live, so if you delete or move anything, it will delete or move in the model.

You can still overlay white lines and fills, but it will probably be no different than doing this in the actual elevation.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DGSketcher
Legend

@mthd Sound like you are digging a hole for a problem.

I would first try to identify the lines that are causing concern and try to eliminate them in your model. Post some views here and others may point out any potential modelling problems you might have missed. Live elevations are always the preferred solution otherwise you may as well go back to 2D CAD!

If you must create a 2D view you don't need to export a DWG and bring it back in, just use the WORKSHEET TOOL to generate it directly in AC.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly

You can also just change the status of your elevation to 'Drawing'.

BarryKelly_0-1675644225606.png

But I would agree with DGSetcher, if your model is correct, the elevations will be as well.

I would never convert to a drawing.

If ever I need to hide a line in elevation (which is quite rare), I would use a white line or fill placed over the top of it.

Sure you have to watch the position of that line/fill if you amend the model, but it is easier than having the entire elevation as static lines.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
mthd
Mentor

Re: Offending lines are from a corner window intersection and a cad image roof plane showing the underside of the eaves being too low.

I fiddled with white lines but I didn’t like the effect with the corner window.

I couldn’t explode an elevation into the current view because the system wouldn’t allow me to do so and that’s why I considered saving the view as an editable DWG.

If I can create a set of static grey scale elevations along with the live ones that are in colour, that would be ideal. So I would have to create another set of elevation markers and have them generate as drawings not auto rebuild ?

I am still thinking in terms of Chief Architect where you can send an elevation view to a 2D cad drawing. I want to find the best method in Archicad.

Thank you for the help.

Solution

@mthd wrote:

Yes, you will need a new elevation for each as those settings (auto-rebuild/drawing and colour) are stored in the actual elevation settings and not the view settings.

@mthd wrote:

As DGSketcher said, worksheets (or details) will give you a 2D view of the elevation.

It won't be 'live' (but neither will a 2D drawing), but you can 'rebuild from source'.

Any 2D linework you have added will remain the same. But anything generated from the model will update (if you have deleted a line it will come back, or if you have moved a line it will move back to original position).

Another alternative may be 3D Document from the 3D window.

View the model an 'look to perpendicular' to the elevation you want.

Save as a 3D Document.

The difference to a worksheet is that it is live, so if you delete or move anything, it will delete or move in the model.

You can still overlay white lines and fills, but it will probably be no different than doing this in the actual elevation.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
mthd
Mentor

Too cool for school ! I like the suggestions above and I didn’t know about the 3D document method.

Once again thanks for the expert advice from the very experienced users above.

Edit: I Solved the elevation problems by turning some elements off on the cad image roof object. The problem with the cad image roof is that it is quite a bit higher than the main roof. I like showing the corrugated iron roof sheeting in elevation so I had to drag the object down a bit to get it to work correctly but it likes to jump back up again. Apart from that it messes up the 3D because the roof iron is not showing above the roof plane now. I will have to fiddle around with the roof plane thickness and the cad image roof surface thickness to try and get my 3d views looking correct again.