BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Embed 3D content in pdf file - Help

Anonymous
Not applicable
Summary: There's no "Embed 3D content" checkbox on the pdf options, and I can't figure out why.

I'm not quite sure if everyone is familiar with this feature but ArchiCAD can export a pdf with a navigable simple 3d model. Apparently, this is for windows users only. Anyways, I've found these steps on a reference guide:

3D Content in PDF (WIN only)
When creating a PDF, ArchiCAD allows you to take advantage of the U3D file format (in Windows only).
When publishing a PDF document from ArchiCAD, you can embed a U3D file into the PDF, then “navigate” the view within the PDF as if it were a 3D model.
1) From the 3D window, save the desired model view as a file using the “Save as” command. Choose the “U3D file” format from the list of available formats. It is recommended to clear unnecessary detail from the 3D model as much as possible, in order to optimize the navigation speed in the resulting PDF document.

2) In the Navigator or Organizer Palette, save the desired model as a 3D view. If you prefer, add the 3D view to a Layout.

3) Next, add the 3D view (either on its own or as part of a Layout) to a Publisher set. Select the 3D view (or Layout) in the Publisher Set.

4) Set the Publisher Set Properties to PDF format. (This is the default publishing format.)

5) In the Format tab page at the bottom of the Publisher palette, choose Document Options, then PDF Options.

6) Check the “Embed 3D content” checkbox.

7) Click the “Browse” button to select the file you saved in U3D format (in Step 1 above).

8 ) If you are publishing a Layout, select the 3D view on the layout into which you want to embed the U3D file. (If you are publishing a view, the U3D will be embedded into that view.)

9) Click OK.

10) In the Publisher, select the desired publisher item and publish it in PDF format.

The resulting PDF file will contain an embedded, navigable U3D file.
The U3D model embedded in the PDF can be navigated only by using Adobe Reader 7.0.

The problem is that there's no "embed 3d content" checkbox as it mentions on step 6 (I've attached a picture of how the options appears for me).

I'm using archiCAD 20, but I think this is not a version issue.
Does anyone have any clue on how to figure this out?

Thanks in advance.

0000000000000000000000001.png
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
husherson2 wrote:
Summary: There's no "Embed 3D content" checkbox on the pdf options, and I can't figure out why.
...I'm using archiCAD 20, but I think this is not a version issue.
Does anyone have any clue on how to figure this out?
I haven't used this in years - and even then I never did seriously.

The embed 3D content is there in version 15 but not in version 18 (haven't checked 16 or 17) so it looks like a feature that may have been discontinued.
Although the save as U3D is still there in all versions.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
I would imagine Graphisoft are more interested in promoting the BIMx model viewer app these days.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly
Post moved to 'Construction Documentation'.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I think this U3D format was Adobe's attempt at trying to a create 3D model format they hoped everyone would use. But I never really saw its use take off. I remember I tried it once or twice when this feature first appeared in ARCHICAD but I never found it too useful having a 3D Model embedded in a PDF file.
I don't know, having a PDF file with text and pictures is OK, but also having videos and 3D models in a PDF didn't feel that good of an idea. A dedicated 3D viewing environment seems like a better choice.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!