Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Embed QT VR and other Media in PDF files (Harry Potter!)

Karl Ottenstein
(I posted this in a thread in another forum that went off the topic there, and thought I should copy into this forum where this topic belongs.)
Karl wrote:
(And, you know that you can embed QT VR's etc in a PDF also, right?)
David wrote:
How does this work? Can you have text in the document as well, so that what looks like a photo is really a VR? Scenes and linked panoramas or just VR objects? Would clients need some special advanced version of Acrobat to read these?
This would be like a document in a Harry Potter book....!
Open the attached PDF ... and see the next message and screenshot, too.

Create your PDF document leaving placeholder rectangles of the desired size where you want your QuickTime content to be (Panorama VR's being the most compact of course with jpeg compression - movies will increase file size accordingly).

In Acrobat Pro, Tools > Advanced Editing > Movie Tool (or use the button on the toolbar) and drag a rectangle on the page the size of the desired media viewport.

A dialog comes up. Browse to your MOV file. Check “Snap to content proportions” to avoid distortion and “Embed content in document” and click OK.

With the cursor inside the red, handled box, drag the box to the desired position. Shift-drag the handles if necessary to scale the viewport with proportions constrained. Press enter/return.

A dialog appears to let you choose when and how to play the media, as well as to give it a title, etc.

There is a sample on this page which was created in Word. I blocked out a box at the upper right using the Drawing palette tools to create a frame and then placed the VR as described above. The VR shown is generated from a Epix file in the Piranesi (Informatix) tutorials.

Obviously, you can have as much media as you want on a page. I’ve kept this one simple so that it is small for me to upload.

See next message / screenshot for Harry Potter...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:

Mac users with OS 10.3.8 or 10.3.9 can downgrade from QuickTime 7.0.2 back to 6.5.2 and then everything works.
Why downgade? I would rather upgrade to 7.0.3, it works here.

I’m looking your pdf with Acrobat Standard 6.0.2. At first it popped “This file appears to use a new format that this version of Acrobat does not support... Adobe recommends updating to the latest version..." I thought OK it needs Acrobat 7 and skipped updating. Anyway I clicked your QTVR frame, and IT STARTED TO LIVE.

However it seems that Acrobat Standard version cannot do these movie things, pity.
Karl Ottenstein
That's very good news to hear that there is a an update to Reader to fix this problem!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
That's very good news to hear that there is a an update to Reader to fix this problem!
Karl
No, not Reader, I think the key is QT update 7.0.3.
I have no AcrobatReader installed at all because mostly I need Acrobat and a newer Reader would always open up first.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!