Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Eve Detail and Bold Contour Edges

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am curious on how I can automate my elevations a little more. We like our elevations shown in the image below. I have been changing the elevation settings from "automatic" to "drawing" so that I can clean up the elevations a bit (remove the line where the fascia touches the wall) and outline the edges we wish to have darker. (such as the wall edges, doors, windows, and roof tiles). The problem I'm having is that saving this elevations as drawings is increasing my file size quite measurably.
So my first question is, how can I model the the walls and fascia so that the line existing between them(as shown in these two images) is not visible? With just that ability I can leave the elevations to update automatically or manually and not changed them to a drawing.
My second question is how can I get archicad to automatically bold the contours as shown in that image? This one is not as important to me as I can always trace the lines I wish to bold, but I'm hoping there is something I'm overlooking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Isaac Strong
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here are the images.
Cleaned fascia.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Eve Detail.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rendered Fascia.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I do not have a good recommendation for the thick outlines besides what you are already doing.

About the wall-fascia lines: if the fascia line is showing on one elevation and not showing on the other, I would suspect some minute modeling inaccuracy that is causing those lines not to disappear like they do in other elevations. I would zoom in very very close and check whether that is the case or not.
Another thing I can think of if there is no way you can make it disappear is to model the fascias using the Morph Tool, then select those edges of the Morph Tool and make them hidden. Hopefully then they will not be shown on the Sketch Rendering either.
A third option is to just draw a white fill over that line. In the past this is something I have always been doing because I always tried to keep all my Viewpoints in automatic update state and covering the unneeded lines with white fills was a solution I could live with.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
DGSketcher
Legend
In addition to Laszlo's suggestions, also check that the surface materials are identical on the wall and fascia, when perfectly aligned the edges should then disappear. If you are having a problem aligning the curve it may help to put a small vertical at the bottom of the fascia to get things aligning properly. Another detail that may generate the line is if the curve is not tangential with the wall. There may be some tolerance with the tangential angle but I'm not sure at what point AC would consider the junction as a corner.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erika Epstein
Booster
After cleaning up your model as best you can, instead of changing your view to a drawing, leave it live. Use Fills to outline. This will help you graphically without inflating your file size.

Also, have you tried using the Marked Distant Area setting in your sections marker settings?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for the quick replies! I'll try a couple fo these suggetions and let you know what works. Thanks again!