Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Excluding doors and windows from a CADimage schedule

Paul King
Advisor
Hi, just wondering what the best method was to exclude doors and windows from a CAD Image doors and windows schedule, based solely on plan location?

I have a project involving many repeated modules, and where the base components used to define each module are placed off to one side in the master file, such that they can all be readily edited in one place, selected, and selections resaved out to update module files (which happens many times a week)

This works well apart from the fact that needed doors and windows for defining the modules are in the module source component area. so are being included in D+W schedule counts along with the versions from each placed module. I can't give them different IDs or other attributes as a way to filter them out, because then these changes would then propagate to the modules every time they are resaved.

Looks like I could put the module source components on a special story, and filter them out that way in CI schedule manager - but this would be a major pain given the intense frequency of backwards and forwards panning between placed modules and the module working area throughout each day - and the placed multi story modules in particular are very easily messed up when source origin differs or changes in any way from host file
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
10 REPLIES 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We use a 'module workspace' renovation filter for this purpose.

We have our module workspace somewhere to the side of the model. We use a saved view with the 'module workspace' renovation filter on (and special layer combination so we can adjust everything we want in the modules as needed). We save the modules using marquee tool. We have the file name written out with the modules, so no-one gets confused. When it comes to saving the module we 'unpin' the elements. After saving, we pin them again.

For schedules it is very easy to add a rule that ignores elements on the renovation filter.

It gets a bit tedious if you have modules spanning several stories, but otherwise this works really well for us.

It is very easy to spot if you forgot to 'pin' your elements once you open a normal view for a floor plan and see the module elements show up.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Paul King
Advisor
Thanks Erwin. Will look at renovation status filters, I may not be understanding correctly.

I am seeing no option to tick or untick anything but 'new', 'existing' and 'demolished' status in CI schedule manager criteria tab.

Is there a way to add another status type to ArchiCAD?

Are you using the CI schedule system, or just standard GS Schedules menu schedules?

if a door in your module source walls has a renovation status such that it appears in your 'module workspace' renovation filter, wont this status just propagate into modules, meaning doors in modules will not schedule/ any differently to doors in source walls?

I was not sure what you meant by 'pin', but guessing it relates to this - do you switch all doors temporarily from 'demolished' to 'new' status before saving modules, then switch them back afterwards? Then have CI schedule set to only schedule 'new' doors?

All my modules are multi story, (as is the project) and there are a lot of them, though I guess I could do a 3D marque around the whole modules working area, save this as a 3D view, then do global doors and window renovation status toggles from that view
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We do not have CI schedules or libraries.

If you open the renovation tool palette, there should be an option to pin/unpin elements on the top right.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/128445/ this should cover that.

In a schedule you can select renovation filters as criteria and exclude them.

We exclude our entire module work space this way. Also makes sure our other quantity take off schedules are correct.

For multiple stories this means selecting elements (marquee won't work) on each floor to pin / unpin.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Paul King
Advisor
Thanks Irwin

I probably need to play around some more, but if I stick to the CI tools schedule tool (my goal), you can select objects for inclusion in that schedule by renovation status, or layer or ID, but sadly not by renovation filter.

If I switch to a generic GS schedule, I don't think I can use any of the schedule notes associated with the CI doors and windows

That said, if you are manually 'unpinning' doors to save out modules, then pinning again to exclude from schedules, then possibly an equivalent approach for CI schedules would be 3D marquee find and select all module workings doors, toggle them all between 'existing' and 'new' renovation status when I need to resave a module, then again to schedule doors in the modules. I can probably save the 3D marquee as a saved views with and without 'new' status doors showing to speed things up.

One possible fly in the ointment - my modules are nested...

Only other workaround I can think of might be to host module workings in a separate file, and hope changes in composites and other attributes definitions don't happen too often.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The Criteria you are looking for is 'Show On Renovation Filter' and then pick 'is not'.

We keep our module workspace 'hidden' on its own filter and only unpin it when we make changes to the module and pin it back after saving the module. That's why we have a saved view for editing modules at the top of our View Map.

Maybe it's a bit too elaborate to type out explanation.

It's still a workaround.

I would not recommend a separate file for reason of attributes as you point out.

You can also make a floor plan range for modules above or below your model and exclude those with a criterium for greater than 0 (if below story 0 are the module work spaces).
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Erwin wrote:
When it comes to saving the module we 'unpin' the elements. After saving, we pin them again.

Do you mean "unlock" and "lock" elements? Unpin and pin do not exist in Archicad as terminology. There are words used in Revit.
(I am writing this info for others for future reference.)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I have no idea what the button is called, but when you click it a pin appears

It first looks like a set of 3 drawings and then turns into a drawing with a pin in it.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
runxel
Legend
Had to think a tiny moment to grasp, but Erwin! What a delightful "hack"/solution!

@Laszlo: He means the button (or better to say toggle) in the right of the reno palette:
"Show only current filter"
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
runxel wrote:
@Laszlo: He means the button (or better to say toggle) in the right of the reno palette:
"Show only current filter"
Wow, I never noticed there is a Pin there in that little icon.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27