Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Export/Import graphic override rules

Anonymous
Not applicable
Graphic override combinations can be exported and imported. The problem is that the graphic override rules that go with them don't come with them. Is there a quick way to transfer a rule to another project?
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
The rules are actually imported as well - so long as they don't already exist.
If the rule already exists it is not updated or appended as a new rule.

If the GO combination exists will be appended with '(1)' after the name - but it will still use the original rule if that exists.

The only way to be sure to import amended rules is to delete the original rules before importing the the combination.
This way you will get the amended rules added
You will need to delete your original combination that will now have 'missing' rules and then rename the new combination to get rid of the '(1)' in the name - views that are using the original combination will still use the new re-named combination.
Or delete the new imported combination and then add back the 'missing' rules.

Also check other combinations in case they were using the rules you deleted as they will be 'missing' as well.

All a bit messy if you ask me.
Archicad should ask if you want to update the existing rules when you import or allow us to import the rules searately.
I haven't checked if it will be any different in 23 but I know there has been some changes in how views deal with 'missing' settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Brett Brown
Advocate
Barry wrote:
All a bit messy if you ask me.
Archicad should ask if you want to update the existing rules when you import or allow us to import the rules searately.
I haven't checked if it will be any different in 23 but I know there has been some changes in how views deal with 'missing' settings.

Barry.
Not being able to export/import Graphic Override Rules on their own is unbelievable and I am surprised this was the only thread I could find that it was even mentioned. Talk about our time-wasting, and yet another example of a poorly thought out tool usability wise. Nothing changed in 24.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
JeffB
Contributor

Same issue here - one can import/export many Model View Options at once (AC25). But for some reason GO's can only be exported one by one. On the contrary, apparently many GO's can be imported at once... weirdly inconsistent. Maybe AC26 fixes this but we're not going there yet.

@JeffB wrote:

Maybe AC26 fixes this but we're not going there yet.

Yes it does.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry good to know!

Unfortunately, 26 does not fix this issue. 

In 26 if you import a GO it will copy the rules across by it will not overwrite an existing rule with an identical name. You have to remove the rule/s first and then import the GO.