Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Export video to image frames from publisher

Pato99
Enthusiast
I'm pretty happy with my AC renderings at the moment and don't feel the need to export the model into another engine.

Am I correct in saying there is no way to publish an image sequence from the publishing set and the only way to achieve this is via the 'create fly through' panel?

Secondly does the frame rate I set it the 'create fly through' panel change the frame rate in the publishing set, as currently it has no options and defaults to 10fps.

Thanks.
Versions 10 to 27
Metabox Prime-X P775DM2-G (Clevo),
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM - G-Sync,
i7-6700K (8M Cache up to 4.2 GHz),
32GB DDR4 2133MHZ,
512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD,
Win 11 64
5 REPLIES 5
Pato99
Enthusiast
Still not able to confirm image sequence publishing.

But I can confirm that the frame rate in the publishing set reflects what is chosen in the 'create fly through' panel (It would be great to have these options directly from the publishing options in future)

Also an observation: When rendering photorealistic, it looks like its not working.. it will say Preparing 0.0%... GI.. 0.0% then throw some random numbers up before going back to Preparing. I think it is just preparing each frame first which might be an issue for RAM and why I wanted an image sequence.

I left it go over night and 11 Hours later I had a 12 second video
Versions 10 to 27
Metabox Prime-X P775DM2-G (Clevo),
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM - G-Sync,
i7-6700K (8M Cache up to 4.2 GHz),
32GB DDR4 2133MHZ,
512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD,
Win 11 64
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
In the past I've allways preferred to save flythrough as a serie of images rather than a video format. If you run out of memory overnight you can just continue on from whatever frame it stopped rendering.

Does require a 3rd party software to make a video out of it, but you would typically add some text, fades etc in another software I would say.

I think you might be able to save the camera as a view with a cinerender scene attached, but from what I've read on other topics, it is a bit hit and miss with all settings sticking properly.

You are correct that it does a prepass on all frames. In older versions there was a memory leak, which meant I could maybe render out 50 frames at a time before things crashed or came to a crawl with 16 GB of RAM. I think it's been fixed in 20, at least I don't recall having the problem with 20.

It's not very convenient for having things sit overnight, but if you are rendering during the day on a 2nd machine, you might get a quicker result by splitting it up in 50-100 frame sessions.

I generally do test renders on a single frame to tweak settings down to get to < 1 m per frame, as this starts ramping up in time when you render out more frames.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Recently I had to prepare a 2min animation / fly around of a proposal for a client's media release - rendered 3550 frames @ 4K resolution, only way to do this was as individual frames (TIFF format uncompressed to preserve resolution) from a fly through and then compiled in After Effects. File and all libraries, textures etc was copied to SSDs of several machines and each machine set to render a batch of a couple of hundred frames each at a time to minimise risk and to speed things up, all in took about 72 hours of solid rendering and then about 2 hrs in post production.
High resolution stills (~10k resolution) also batch rendered, from memory this was from a publisher set of saved views no problems of settings not 'sticking' but all the images were using the same rendering and resolution settings.

Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Ouch, 4k... I generally go down to 720p to keep things reasonable, but mostly I try to get away with BIMx with saved cameras as a clip.

I'm very biased to stills though, but sometimes client must have video of some sort.

Would you say the SSD has a big impact on the render times?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think getting all the files required for the rendering off of the network and onto the local computer made the biggest difference, SSD does seem to also make a difference. The amount of RAM in each PC made a huge difference, computers with only 16Gb were about half as fast at machines with 64gb.

Scott