BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Exporting a TIFF

Anonymous
Not applicable
What i need:

i need to export a TIFF file at a decent dpi, and it needs to be scaled to the layout.

Printing companies work best with tiff files (so they are saying). Currently we are giving them .pdf files (which have layers) ... they convert them to tiffs ... print and return... to cut down on lead time... i need to give them tiffs

the tiffs coming out of archicad 11 now are at a poor graphic quality and not to scale

I know i can publish pdfs and convert them in photoshop... but this is an extra step i would like to avoid (200 sheets is a lot to convert one at a time)

HELP!
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use a graphic converter software. There are many that are freeware and gets the job done. I remember trying to save a layout in tiff format with the correct scale/quality but had ended up to be a ridiculously large file for just one layout. And it had required me to actually do it one by one if I were to do it for all the layouts.

So back to the point, do as you would do and publish to pdf. You can do this as a batch. And then use a graphic converter software (freeware available - If on Mac, use Graphic Converter v5.6, I believe...I am sure there is one for windows xp/vista) to convert all your pdfs into tiff in one click. You can adjust settings to your preference choice before you do the batch conversion. Perhaps practice with one layout first till you nail it down, and then do the whole thing.
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm sorry to not have any further suggestions on this matter, but it concerns me that your printer can't easily cope with PDF, [Portable Document Format] a format intended to be universally printed.

Are these guys the only game on your planet?

What kind of files are you sending them? plans, like?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
dwight-

we are giving the print company .pdfs of an entire set of drawings (200 pages; 24" x 36" sheet size; everything from site plans, to section details)

They say: all the layers created in the .pdfs crash their machines... they convert the .pdfs to .tiffs with Reprodisk... this processes adds anywhere from 1 to 3 hrs to the lead time.

I wanted to expedite the process of converting files and hand them .tiffs.
Although, if it requires me to waste 1 to 3 hrs converting .pdfs to .tiffs it defeats the purpose all together.

WISH: I want to be able to create a .tiff directly from archicad 11 that is to scale and at a decent dpi.
Rick Thompson
Expert
Have you tried plotting to file, and sending the .plt file? You could set up your plot file to their driver. That usually works.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
junior -

all the graphic converters i am finding so far do not support .pdf format
Jere
Expert
purchase Adobe Acrobat. Print to Adobe PDF.

I had problems with the PDF's made from ArchiCAD as well. Using Adobe's print driver solved everything and made the file sizes about 1/3 the size. This was with 10; so I'm not sure if things are better in 11.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kbot373 wrote:
junior -

all the graphic converters i am finding so far do not support .pdf format
What operating system are you using?
Erika Epstein
Booster
There is also an option within Adobe Acrobat under FILE to REDUCE FILE SIZE.

If you do a search Djordje discussed this elsewhere.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Before purchasing Acrobat - try another PDF printer rather than the default Archicad one - try CutePDF for windows.

Also telling us what operating system (as Junior has already asked) might help us solve your problem.

Also - as Dwight said - is this the only printshop in town? If not try another one, PDFs should not be a problem for a decent printing place.
Learn and get certified!