Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Expression property custom value danger

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

To GS with love,

Mats_Knutsson_0-1643291319198.png

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
5 REPLIES 5
Rajesh Patil
Expert

Hi, I think "Expressions" are based on one way traffic. Data collected from source elements will be considered for further processing. Any end result from the expression cannot be send back to the source elements. Once you type the new value for expression based defined property then its get converted to "custom value" and the "expression" gets override. Setting back to "Default" will collect the information from the source.

Element ID.png

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB
Francois_MCD
Expert

Good point @Rajesh Patil but I agree with @Mats_Knutsson the reported data from an "expression" Property should be locked / unmediatable in the schedule / label. The only way to edit the reported data from an "expression" must be to actually edit the formula in the expression in the Properties Manager only (similar to an Option Set property).

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

It can NOT be as it is now. We use schedules for everything...quality control and adjustments alike. One of the key features with a BIM-tool is one single source of information (well data). I need to contact GS directly to check possibility for a hotfix to lock expression property values.

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Matthew Johnson
Advocate

If we can't get a way to lock the custom overiding of expression values, the next best thing would be to have an ability to have graphic overides in schedules to highlight were values have been custom edited rather than by their default expression.

Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
Andreas _kerlund
Contributor

Hi!

I totally agree with Mats. We have had so many cases where users have unwittingly have changed expression values in a schedule. The broken chain symbol in the objects properties settings tells you what have happened, but only if you know what you are looking for.

It needs fixing.

Andreas Åkerlund, Arkitekt SAR
Arkitekthuset Jönköping AB
ArchiCAD 5 to 25
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i9 7920x @ 2.9 GHz, 64 GB RAM