Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Extra Lines in Elevations

toman311
Enthusiast
So, I drew a 3D model and I am trying to pull exterior elevations from it. I used morphs to draw the gutters. These gutters have extra lines in them that cannot be there in the elevations. These lines are from using the morph tool and not from any details.

I added two photos. One shows the lines and the other is a 3D view showing what this part of the building looks like.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
8 REPLIES 8
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Toman

I have had the same thing, it is a line that is added when editing a face
of your morph. Try selecting the morph, right click on the mouse and convert to morph. Some times, not always, the line goes away.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
If a morph, you might also try choosing the hidden or soft edges button in the dialog box.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Toman:

Use can use the Sub-Element Selection (hold down Control & Shift, Arrow turns white) to just select the line, then change it from Hard to Hidden.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David Shorter
Advisor
Perhaps the Morph tool is not the best tool for the job.
I would use a complex beam to create this profile, much more suitable and much easier
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
toman311
Enthusiast
David wrote:
Perhaps the Morph tool is not the best tool for the job.
I would use a complex beam to create this profile, much more suitable and much easier
I tried a complex beam of the gutter, but the two won't join cleanly where they meet at the point in the roof. The morph is the only way I managed to get a clean model, but there are those lines in the elevations. The only solution I can think of is to place a fill or a white line over those lines. I haven't tried this at the moment.

These gutters at this area of that roof creates weirds angles for the gutters. They need to be at angles which are not 90 degrees on the x, y, & z axes. This doesn't allow them to joint cleanly where the two sides of the roof gutters meet I suppose. See image for a view on the problem when using a complex beam.

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
ArchiCAD is showing you that there is a geometrical problem here. Is faking it with a Morph really the best approach? Will the sheet metal contractor have a saw that can cut Morphs?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
toman311
Enthusiast
Richard wrote:
ArchiCAD is showing you that there is a geometrical problem here. Is faking it with a Morph really the best approach? Will the sheet metal contractor have a saw that can cut Morphs?
The problem is a possible problem to solve. The Morph tool is the only way that it can be modeled. This is an existing building. This is how the building has been built. I see this as an odd circumstance where a complex beam won't work. I have had another place on this project where the morph tool has been the answer when drawing in the gutter instead of using a complex beam. The problem always came down to how the complex beam joins with another complex beam. So, I use the morph tool and extrude the gutter along a line to get clean joins. In the situation which I have presented here, the Morph tool is leaving extra lines that shouldn't be there.

David Shorter
Advisor
I suspect the extra fine is there because the junctions cannot be obtained without twisting the face plane.(hence the additional line)
Its really difficult to comment sensibly without having the roof model to test the options
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone