BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

FIXED LEVEL DIMENSION VALUE ISSUE

galiaf_velikiy
Booster
HI, GUYS.
I have a problem with level dimensions. (image as a reference is in the attachement) I need a fixed level dimensions and as you can see on the ref. image for this purpose I used the "to Stored Origin" option. And everything works fine until I close and open the file again. After I open the file all Level Dimensions returned back to their Default Values with the "to Stored Origin" option here.

How can I preserve the values that I want to show without using the "Reference Level" options - because there are just 2 of them and it is not enough for "Everyone who uses Archicad" (BUT THIS IS a WHOLE DIFFERENT ISSUE 😃 )

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
galiaf_velikiy,

I think you can achieve what you want (steps 1 and 2 are interchangeable):

1. Select the copied Dimension Chain.
2. Move the User Origin to the position where you want the 0.00 level to be for this particular Dimension Chain.
3. Go to the Dimension Settings Dialog, and in the "Dimension Origin" field, select the "Current User Origin" option, then click OK.

The Dimensions should update to the new values.
Note: if the User Origin is at the vertical level of the Project Origin, the "Current User Origin" option will be grayed and you will not be able to select it. Apparently, you can select it only if it is at a vertical level different from the Project Origin.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/128588/#CSH_854

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
If you don't want to reference and actual level, why not just use plain text?
Then you can move it where you like and it will never change.

TIP. Place an elevation dimension and explode it so it looks the same.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
galiaf_velikiy
Booster
Barry wrote:
If you don't want to reference an actual level, why not just use plain text?
Then you can move it where you like and it will never change.

TIP. Place an elevation dimension and explode it so it looks the same.

Barry.
Hi, Barry
I don't want to use TEXT because:
1. it will be so long work with a big project
2. it will not be parametric and I can't use it for showing a new point on my drawings
3. it is not how BIM works (am I wrong?). Even in AutoCAD, there is a lisp with a parametric solution...

PS. What is the purpose of this "to Stored Origin" function, if it is not STORE the Origin?

Thanks for your time. 😃
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
galiaf_velikiy,

2. Move the User Origin to the position where you want the 0.00 level to be for this particular Dimension Chain.
3. Go to the Dimension Settings Dialog, and in the "Dimension Origin" field, select the "Current User Origin" option, then click OK.

Note: if the User Origin is at the vertical level of the Project Origin, the "Current User Origin" option will be grayed and you will not be able to select it. Apparently, you can select it only if it is at a vertical level different from the Project Origin.

galiaf_velikiy
Booster
LaszloNagy wrote:
galiaf_velikiy,

ElevationDimensionOrigin-CurrentUserOrigin.jpg
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!
IT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED!!!!!!

Before I tried to use it but I didn't understand how it works... also I thought that "User Origin" (like Reference Levels) can be used just once and I can't use it for other Level Dimensions... BUT it is POSSIBLE, I can use it for Multiple Levels Dimensions Referencing!!! It is COOL!

Thank you, Guys!!!

PS. ALSO, WE NEED SUCH A FUNCTION ON THE FLOOR PLANS. 2 REFERENCE LEVELS ARE NOT ENOUGH! THANK YOU
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You are welcome.

Yes, it is possible to set a different User Origin for each individual Dimension Chain, or change the User Origin and have the Dimension Chain display values relative to that new User Origin. I think the Dimension Chain actually stores where the User Origin was when the "Current User Origin" option is selected. This is why, when you select a Dimension Text and modify its value from its measured value, you will have that "Stored Origin" option you were referring to.
Learn and get certified!