Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Favourite Name as IfcType Name

MaFarine
Booster

Hi,

Is it or will it be possible to get the Favourite name of an element as the IfcType Name?

It would be great for information management in my opinion.

Also, is there a way to see from what favourite an element on the model is?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Mathieu

Mathieu Farine | BIM Manager | CCHE Lausanne | Switzerland
AC24-26 FRA | WIN11 | i7-9850H | 32Go | RTX4000
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Yes, I agree, Types would be useful. Actually, associative Favorites would do the job, and this is something that has been wished for several times in the past.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I don't think this will happen anytime soon. The biggest reason is that Favorite names are not associated with elements in any way. When you activate a Favorite, it will restore the settings stored in the Favorite and apply it to the selected element. But it is not associative so if you modify the Favorite the element will not be updated based on the modified Favorite definition.

So a Favorite name is not an element parameter or element property and so it cannot be mapped to an IFC property or exported as IFC.

Do I suspect that you want to use Types, for example, Door Types, where a 1000x2100 Door would be one type with its own Type name, 900x2100 would be another Type, and so on.

The reason I ask is that it is possible to do Type Mapping for IFC Export based on element parameters. Let me know if this is what you try to achieve.

Hi,

Indeed it is not associative and it is quite a shame. I would find it interesting that Archicad insert a type management feature as in IFC.

Today I do it with parameters yes but it is a quite complex and indirect way to do it.

Plus it is complicated for everyone to understand it.

Then imagine you manage types with a property and save it as a favourite, you need to copy-paste each time your type name in the favourite name to get a true object library..

Maybe one day!

One can only hope 🙂

Thanks for answering btw!

Best regards

Mathieu Farine | BIM Manager | CCHE Lausanne | Switzerland
AC24-26 FRA | WIN11 | i7-9850H | 32Go | RTX4000
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Yes, I agree, Types would be useful. Actually, associative Favorites would do the job, and this is something that has been wished for several times in the past.