Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Fire Rated Walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was just wondering what everyone does for fire rated walls on their plans? I have exhausted the search engines trying to find the perfect match/method to how we want to do ours. Here is what we want: a fire rated line embedded within the wall composite (so that it goes with the wall whenever modified) and to be continuous through openings. So far, I am at an either/or point.

I know how to set the fire rated wall as part of the composite structure by halving my core component and changing the center separator line but it will be interrupted by doors and openings. The other method is more messy by simply grouping lines with fire rated walls set as a center reference line. It will likely be double work moving the wall and line along with it while factoring in the suspended groups tool.

I found the Neo Firewall Object on another archicad user site but it seems no longer there for downloading. I wonder if a user here has one to share? I would like to see if that object may be the answer. Or if someone else has figured out how to have separator lines go through openings or something like that.

Would I be wishing for too much if I added to the wishlist an option for separator lines (within composite settings) to go through openings? It could be located next to the "hide" checkbox. I just don't know if it's "GDL scriptly" impossible by GS programmers or not.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
The 'Neo Firewall Line' object originated from this thread below. There were also several other techniques discussed so make sure you read the whole thread.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=13399&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=50

There is an updated version posted at the end that gives better storey sensitivity, so download that one.

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Peter! I'm glad to have a copy downloaded into my system to take it for a spin.

Now, I feel a little silly asking this but I've had trouble so how do I use it? I am using AC12 here, so maybe the object is not compatible with v12 (and I hope that's not the case since I'm not sure if LiHigh is as active or available as before). From what I read, the prior instructions were to have the walls selected and apply the NEO Firewall Line as a wall accessory. That's where I am stuck. I have the walls selected and obviously it won't let me access the object tool and I do not see anything to lead me to any type of wall accessories option. Has wall accessories been removed from v12 and we are to treat them as individual objects now?

I have tried treating the NEO separately as an object and it just seems to not work for me likely due to the updated version. It comes in as a straight line with two huge gaps in the middle and doesn't let me adjust hotpoints. I have read nothing but praises on this object so I know its not the object. Or its just me and I am missing a big step here. Hopefully someone can help me with this one. Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey ksymons,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you - I didn't see your message!

Firstly make sure you have downloaded the accessories 'goodie', and also the accessories library. The link to the goodies is found on the help menu in ArchiCAD.

Put the accessories goodie in the add-ons folder, and the acc. library in the ArchiCAD library. You may have to restart ArchiCAD for it to work.

Select the walls you want marking with the fire rating line, go to Design>Design Extras>Accessories>Wall Accessories, adjust the settings to your requirements and press OK, then click to indicate which side it is meant to go on. I'm not sure this last step matters too much as it is automatically centred on the wall where ever you click.

Good luck!

(P.S. Yes, it appears to work fine in AC12!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ksymons and Peter
Don't know what building codes you are on, but as a side note, out here (Calif) we are on base document of 2006 International Code and it has this structural aspect to it.
Goes something like this; If it's a "Fire-Wall", besides meeting the fire resistant rating it must be build such that all the walls around and attached to it could burn/fall down and it would still be standing!
Now that's a real WALL!
Barry Kelly
That's not a wall.
This is a wall.

Sorry just had to do my Crocodile Dundee impersonation.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I think I've been outdone.
Your right! THAT's a WALL.
Nice mate that Croc guy.
Keep up the good work!
Paul King
Advisor
Peter wrote:
The 'Neo Firewall Line' object originated from this thread below. There were also several other techniques discussed so make sure you read the whole thread.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=13399&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=50

There is an updated version posted at the end that gives better storey sensitivity, so download that one.

Hope that helps!
Sadly, not working in AC18 . What do people used instead?
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop