BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Floor Plan Cut Plane for RCP

Miner
Contributor

I'm stumped.  I've been trying to figure out how to set the floor plan cut plane for a RCP and can't get the "low objects" like railings and base cabinets to not show up.  I'm working with a 2 story house and have 4 stories set up.  Foundation, Lower Floor, Main Floor, and Roof (see attached).  

Am I thinking of this all wrong?  

- I set the cut plane to 5' so it's above my countertops, window sills, railings.  

- I set the relative floor plan range "up" to be 1 story above to see roof/soffits.

- I set the relative floor plan range "down" to be current story +4' so I don't pick up the low objects like countertops, furniture and railings.

- I can't figure out how to use the absolute display limit.

Some object I can't seam to hide on the RCP are furniture, fixtures, equipment, railings, etc.

Any suggestions?

Archicad 26 Solo
iMac 27" 3.8GHz i7
8GB RAM
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

Rather than manually trying to configure the cutting plan (which will always be looking down),

have you tried right clicking on the floor plan and choosing 'New 3D Document from floor plan'.

That 3D Document should open automatically.

Then go into the 3D Document settings where you can set it as a 'Reflected Ceiling' plan, and then play with those settings there.

BarryKelly_0-1645492727981.png

I can't tell you much more about it as I personally never use it.

I just use a normal floor plan view and turn layers on/off for what I do/don't want to see.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Aimad Eddine
Contributor

Hello, 

If I want to hide some objects in a floor plan, I would do it differently without changing the Floor Plan Cut Plane.

I would simply hide the specific objects layers, and save the Layers Combinations for further use. 

Aimad Eddine BOUZIANE
Architect
BIM enthusiast

Setup: Dell G5 15, i7 10750H, 16GB ram, RTX 2070 Max Q, Windows 10
Miner
Contributor

So what I'm hearing is that Archicad doesn't do a good job of auto creating the plan views for RCP and most people are going with the tried and true approach of breaking everything down by layers?  I guess I'll keep doing it that way.  Thank you for the responses!

Archicad 26 Solo
iMac 27" 3.8GHz i7
8GB RAM
4dProof
Advisor

unfortunately, that's not really how the floor plan cut plane works. You'll need to filter stuff off by layer. FPCP is only for determining what may be a "relevant" story, or what is actually cut through based on settings and cut plane height. If you want to see a literal cut of the walls looking up at the ceiling, create a 3d document form the floor plan and set it to show RCP. I usually show that without walls, then lay a floor plan with only walls, grids, etc. over the top of it on a layout. This way doors/windows show with the correct symbol instead of the literal cut symbol of the 3d document

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

Really? Relying on these kind of workarounds to develop a basic 2d view like an RCP? Should be so simple to implement in the program!

IMO there are too many variables to have automatic RCPs. At this point you have 2 different options, regular Floor Plan with Layer Sets or RCP 3D document both have their advantages and downsides.

There is a third option which is to combine both into one drawing which fixes most of the downsides as 4DProof recommends.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

These are not workarounds, these are WorkFlows.

If you want to produce a RCP those are the steps you need to use.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!