BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Font sizes: what is the logic?

R Muller
Enthusiast
After some experimentation, I have proven to myself that 9 pt Arial from ArchiCAD prints out at the same size as 12 pt Arial in published documents, such as Microsoft Word. Both have capital letters that are 1/8" high.

My understanding is that standard font sizes (as used in the publishing industry and as used by Microsoft Word) are measured from the lower case descenders to the top of the ascenders. 9 pt in Word is officially 9/72 of an inch, or 1/8", even though the capital letters are not 1/8".

Is there some reason why ArchiCAD has different point size terminology? Is it assumed that we will use only capital letters?

At any rate, this explains why we typically use 7 pt fonts in ArchiCAD, even though a 7 pt size would be way too small in a Word document.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
R Muller:

Check this article on ArchicadWiki: Sizing Text and Markers with Point Units by Ransom Ratcliff.

The explanation of the difference that Ferenc Lazar told me (I hope I remember correctly) is that when CAD programs output to pen plotters, the plotting fonts were measured simply as the height of the capital letters, rather than the way graphic fonts are today (and were then).

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did not know that there was an Archi-cad Wiki. That's a nice resource, it makes me happy inside.

cheers,
Daniel
R Muller
Enthusiast
Thank you, David. You have answered my question, as well as pointing me to a new resource.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
This should become a good resource for frequently asked questions that appear on ArchiCAD-Talk (which is not so easy to search). I hope some of the posters here that spent some time explaining a tool or function in ArchiCAD-Talk transfer their hard work to ArchicadWiki.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!