Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Fonts displaying incorrectly after moving up to AC26.

Liamthanks
Booster

I am currently in the process of migrating my template into AC26 and the first thing I noticed was issues with my font and the way it is displayed on the screen.

It actually hurts my eyes to look at as the lines and text appear to be thicker / fuzzy when zoomed out. The text is also displaying a lot differently, sort of like it's a foreign font? 

To me, the lines and text when viewed in 24 were a lot 'cleaner' and more 'crisp' however this is not the case in the 26. Is there a setting or anything I can adjust? 

26.PNG24.PNG
AC24 Build 7000 AUS - Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon 5700 XT, M.2 NVME 0.5TB SSD, 32GB RAM
14 REPLIES 14
DGSketcher
Legend

I have noticed this happening in AC26 with non-orthogonal dimension lines on my 5k mac screen. I have also picked up that fonts aren’t handled the same, like small shifts distorting the text size according to application and font. I haven’t had a chance to test these distortions yet but I agree something has changed and not in a good way.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly

I don't have a hi-res screen so maybe I am not affected so badly.

But there is definitely a different quality in the plans.

The menus, palettes and tool bars don't seem to be affected at all.

The plans are definitely not as crisp and clear.

I did complain about it in Beta testing and GS's response was that 2D ant-aliassing should be turned on by default now.

I have always worked with it off as I like to see the 'jaggy' lines when a wall is not quite horizontal or vertical.

Even with 2D anti-aliassing turned on in 26, it is still not as nice as 25.

In this image it is off in 25 (on the left) and on in 26 (on the right).

It just looks a bit fuzzy now.

Of course it clears up as you zoom in and I am hoping I won't notice it so much when I am not comparing them side by side, but I am really hoping that GS can do something about this sometime soon in the future.

But just the fact that many have noticed this, must mean there is something wrong.

BarryKelly_0-1660894864217.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hey Barry!

Glad to see it's not just me then. That alone would be enough for me to stay on 25 for a bit longer as my eyes were hurting after 30 minutes, let alone hours on end. 

Hopefully they sort it out in the next patch!

AC24 Build 7000 AUS - Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon 5700 XT, M.2 NVME 0.5TB SSD, 32GB RAM

Interesting and definitely different. Whilst preview sees it as a font it doesn't know what 'type'

The font image in 26 is heavier. The overall file size is smaller in 24 but has more pixels

DavidShorter_1-1660894673124.png

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

And I should have said, the image I posted is side by side on the same screen at the same time.

So there is no trickery going on.

I think everyone should make a report to their local Archicad support.

I certainly will be reporting it (again).

Reference back to this post as an example.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi David,

I could possibly try to squeeze both 24 and 26 onto the same screen and snap it one go. Would that provide any more information for you?

EDIT: I went ahead and did it anyway. Definitely noticeable side-by-side

test.PNG

Hey Barry,

As a reference, I have done the same thing - both images on the same screen. Definitely noticeable. 

test.PNG

The text is definitely moving - even if only by a little bit.

You can see here by the grey section line in the background.

And this is just Arial Narrow - nothing fancy.

And the font is jaggier in 26 even with 2D anti-aliassing on.

BarryKelly_0-1660900813365.png

Barry,

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Liamthanks 

Thanks for testing. Developers seem to have 'improved' something. I guess its a bug

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone