BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Framing diagram tips

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm attempting to create my wall framing plans using interior elevations. Since the wall framing add-on produces undesirable results, I followed advice from forum members to manually model the studs and plates, since the house isn't too big.

I'm using the Column tool for the studs, problem is, they always merge into one when placed adjacent to each other, e.g. the king stud and trimmer stud become one unit with no separator line in between.

What can I do to prevent this from happening? I tried using different building materials for them, as well as placing them on different layers, changing layer intersection numbers, but they still persistently become united in the elevation view ( as well 3D). Am I missing out on something basic here?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
poco2013
Mentor
Adjacent surfaces with the same material will be merged in Archicad. One of the studs must have a material with a different name. Just duplicate the material and get the duplicate material a different name. Use the duplicate on one adjacent stud. That way you are using the same surfaces but they each have a different name. Archicad will then divide the two studs as they will be recognized as different surfaces.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
As mentioned in the thread above, I've tried using different building materials already but to no avail. I used this tactic in complex profile walls to get the "X" symbol to appear by making a copy of the wood building material, it works there but not here in my interior elevation plan.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
alexwang32:

Try changing the Surface assigned to the column rather than the Building Material. You could duplicate the current Surface and give it a new name, then assign one Surface to one column and the other Surface to the adjacent column.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
DGSketcher
Legend
The ideal solution is to sort your materials, but this may not work if Graphic Overrides are in play.

The other options are to move the studs a tiny amount or use a custom profile with a tiny chamfer that won't impact on your dimensions.

Alternatively if it is a small one off job add the missing lines manually. Sometimes 3D modelling results aren't perfect and it is less trouble to fix the graphics with lines & fills rather than spend a lot of time getting something as simple as a missing line to display.

You can use the morph tool to add lines in 3D if you need them to show in other drawings. The downside is if you move the "columns" on plan the morph line may be forgotten.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both for your replies, I totally forgot about Surface Overide, I used a different surface for the trimmer column and it became independent. It makes sense now because after all elevation displays what would meet the eye in 3D, I'm accustomed to working in sections and details where fills will separate if they are composed of different building materials, regardless what surface they're using.

Great tip on moving a tiny distance (1/64"), it works in many cases where two fills stubbornly merge into one.

By the way are there any new tools developed for framing in newer versions of ArchiCAD? Could be useful if a client requests one.
DGSketcher
Legend
I am doing a lot of framing work, I have found the latest Curtain Wall tool to be particularly helpful with the work I do, as it keeps the framing tied together rather than having a collection of free floating (non-planar) columns & beams.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!