Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

GDL Objects from 3DS file

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me why the materials on GDL objects created from a 3ds file render differently to the materials settings? How do I fix or get around this problem?

Comments appreciated

Scooter

ps I have attached an example

Notice the stretched image over each segment
13 REPLIES 13
Dwight
Newcomer
Archicad doesn't adapt mapping to curved irregular surfaces well.

Can you show me what you were expecting the surface to do?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dwight, Thanks for the reply.

This is not the exact texture I want to use but it best represents what I want the material to do. Here is an example of the same material rendered in the previous pic but on a flat surface.
Dwight
Newcomer
So you DON'T want the material to follow the contours of the curved form?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I want the texture to follow the contours
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm confused - you are showing a curved surface where the wood grain follows the contours, more-or-less, and seem to be unhappy with it. Is this supposed to be "Bent wood?"

At any rate, there's no solution to controlling the texture map against a non-rectilinear surface in Archicad - you takes what you gets, eh?

There's a GDL command where mapping direction can be controlled, but there is no command to address curved, bulging surfaces.

My advice is to apply a texture without obvious direction and accept the limits of Archicad mapping.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I should have mentioned this earlier.

The first image is of a roof form 60 m in length.

The second image is a close up to verify the texture.

I am having problems applying the texture to a correct scale and also the direction. When changing the 3d texture direction in Archicad it just doesn't change.
Dwight
Newcomer
Do you mean changing the direction in the material dialog box or with the alignment tools?

You are rendering in LightWorks?

Are you sure to transfer the angle change to Lightworks?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you mean changing the direction in the material dialog box or with the alignment tools?

With the alignment tools

You are rendering in LightWorks?

Yes

Woulg you like if I sent you an example of the form?
Dwight
Newcomer
Try using the material dialog to rotate the texture in the material because you can't alter the mapping direction of an object like this using the alignment tools.
Dwight Atkinson