Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Glitchy behaviour, changes to section affects layer status

I just came across some seemingly glitchy behaviour in AC25INT 4013 - not sure if it's been reported. The behaviour can be reproduced in the default template.

Changes to a section's settings (horizontal range, display order, marker, line type, etc.) in plan view will change the layer status (edit/visibility/display) in the active plan view to equal the layer status set for the section view. It occurs for both saved and unsaved views.

Mutually necessary conditions for the behaviour is that the Status of Section View is set to Auto-rebuild Model and that besides the plan view window, both the section view window and a master layout window are open as tabs.

In cases where the plan view and the section view have different layer combinations the plan view's layer statuses will change without any indication that the view no longer corresponds to it's settings. No exclamation marks and the combination name remains in the quick access rather than Custom.

Objects on layers that are changed from hidden to shown will not show in the plan view. Objects on layers that are changed from shown to hidden will still show but will appear as locked and there will be no info box for the selected object.

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

@thesleepofreason wrote:

I just came across some seemingly glitchy behaviour in AC25INT 4013 - not sure if it's been reported. The behaviour can be reproduced in the default template.

It doesn't matter if it has been reported or not.

Report it again to your local support.

The more reports a problem gets from different sources, the more importance it will get and the more likely it will be looked at.

I have AUS 4013 and was using the AUS template.

I just tried to replicate your problem but no matter what I did to the section settings, it did not affect the plan view.

I had the plan, section, plan layout, section layout and master layout all open at the same time.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Taking it through the local distributor just takes too much initiative. A tiered structure starting at the local distributor makes sense for cases where the user might need support but not for glitch/bug reports. I have no objections to investigating and reporting what I experience but creating a post here - or using a ticket system - is the extent of my initial effort for an issue that doesn't have a really detrimental effect on my work. 

As far as I'm concerned, a post here gives GS (and other users!) notice of the issue and if GS feel like they need more people jump through more hoops in order to acknowledge it then so be it - it's not like I'm wishing for some new feature.

I followed your video and I can confirm the plan layers all become hidden.

The section line in plan disappears because the layer is now hidden, but the wall stays - but appears to be locked - although it isn't.

I have no idea why that is.

Draw another wall (same layer as the first) and it says layer is turned off.

Look at the layers - same combination as before but all the layers show as hidden.

Change layer combination and change back to plan combo and all is back to normal.

Definitely a glitch here I think.

If I get time I will check previous versions to see if it happens there too.

And I might try with my own template.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Doesn't seem to be happening with my own template.

I will look into it more when I get time.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi All,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with this issue!

Watching the video closely, I found that the issue only happens when a Master Layout is opened. I could reproduce it on previous Archicad versions as well. Thus I entered it as defect DEF-7970 for further investigation. I found that by switching the layer combination manually, the layer status is then correct.

Once again, thank you very much for the finding, it's a rare one! Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

@Minh Nguyen I don't think "it's a rare one!" is a fair description. We are seeing more & more of these instabilities between views. My previous one regarding layer transference is another example. Someone with the appropriate skill set & authority at GS needs to sit down and look carefully at why all these view settings are unstable. The fact that these corruptions are ephemeral and therefore probably not reported as often as they should be doesn't absolve GS from the need to solve yet another bug that is eroding confidence in the product.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)