Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Google Earth for MAC.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally .. Here's a link to a leaked copy of the GOOGLEEARTH/MAC beta, thanx to the bods at UNEASYSILENCE. We've been runnin it with no drama's .. although needs OSX TIGER and heaps of processor speed .. also some trouble opening 3D buildings from sketchup plugin, even though they work on the PeeCee, turns it into a Zaha Hadid special .. workin on it so will keep in touch .. this thing is the most fantastic waste of time!!!

here's a pic of our scratch up of CHCH ... AC':arrow:'SU5':arrow:'GE.

chchnz.jpg

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
here's one showin the level of detail we're aiming for .. advanced use of the boolean tool here! .. each building is a GDL lib part of around 200K .. then AC SU5 GE.
Anonymous
Not applicable
GOOGLE has launched an 'official' version of GOOGLE EARTH as of 10th jan

go to GOOGLE EARTH COMMUNITY for discussion of it's current limitations.MAC VERSION

will trial and post some results.
stefan
Expert
What do you see as the main reason to use Google Earth with ArchiCAD?

If you do not live in a part of the world where there are high-res photographs, then there is just a big pixel-blurb to place your building on. I understand it's nice to have it fit in the global picture, but most designs by architects don't have that much urban scale into it.

But I imagine you're working on design on an urban level, so maybe it is more usefull then...
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
the official" mac version still reads as a 'beta' on my machine.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Karl Ottenstein
stefan wrote:

If you do not live in a part of the world where there are high-res photographs, then there is just a big pixel-blurb to place your building on. I understand it's nice to have it fit in the global picture, but most designs by architects don't have that much urban scale into it.
Hi Stefan,

While we're fortunate in much of (but not all of) the US and various major world cities to have pretty good detail in GE, I agree that the resolution for immediate context is better for urban level or campus planning.

But, I find it extremely useful for projecting view corridors for any project in mountainous terrain, such as we have here in Sandpoint. We can show the client if/where the view through the mountains to the lake will be, etc. This is the example I posted elsewhere on the forum when the SketchUp Google Earth plug-in beta was released. (I exported my ArchiCAD model to SketchUp and from there to Google Earth.)

Naturally, this doesn't help anyone in relatively flat locales. 😉

For those urban areas where GE has 3D mass models of the major buildings, even though the city is flat, the GE context can be useful for sunlight/view studies as well...

It is also nice that the model info can be emailed to a client, and they can open Google Earth with the model in place and browse in whatever way amuses them (or is useful)... 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aaron wrote:
the official" mac version still reads as a 'beta' on my machine.
yeh sorry aaron .. I meant its an "official" GE beta version over the unofficial release that was circulating late last year.
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:

If you do not live in a part of the world where there are high-res photographs, then there is just a big pixel-blurb to place your building on. I understand it's nice to have it fit in the global picture, but most designs by architects don't have that much urban scale into it...
The main reason is I can use all the advantages of AC (accuracy, complex modelling, lib parts, existing knowledge) over the clunky controls of Sketchup or similar.

As Karl has mentioned its a fantastic tool for sending models/ideas to clients.

The low res areas can be overcome by overlaying aerial maps .. see for chch overlay.

It's also a fantastic way to research. model and experience buildings in there proposed context .. here's a quick play we had with Foster's MILLENIUM TOWER.

or some simple placemarks of some current projects.

.. I would love to see a direct plug-in from AC as Sketchup are doing!!??!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:

If you do not live in a part of the world ...
stefan where is the "castle in belgium"? .. would love to add a model or GE link?
stefan
Expert
fu wrote:
stefan wrote:

If you do not live in a part of the world ...
stefan where is the "castle in belgium"? .. would love to add a model or GE link?
I'll give it a try...

You can allready look at some photographs:
http://www.belgiumview.com/belgiumview/tl3/view0001861.php4

And it's location is:
50°51'47.55"N
4°41'0.51"E

I have a 2D DWG but no 3D model. I'm trying to fix something in SketchUp now.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book