Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Graphic Override Combinations - Duplication bug?

Takis
Expert
Hi, in Archicad 21 I have noticed that when making a new Graphic Override by duplicating an existing one, then both are connected together and whatever changes are made to either one affects the other for the same rule.

To create a totally new Graphic Override, must be created totally new. This action has no affect on other Graphic Overrides.

Takis.
12 REPLIES 12
Eduardo Rolon
Interesting.
Have not seen this while using GO's.
---
Windows or MacOS?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Takis
Expert
Windows 10 x64.

Takis
Eduardo Rolon
Ok,
Checked in MacOS and I don't see what you describe so we will need to wait for a Windows user.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Takis
Expert
Ok, thanks.

Takis
Barry Kelly
If your GO combinations contain the same rule and you edit that rule then both GO combinations will be affected.
In fact all GO combinations that contain that rule will be affected.

You need to create a new rule if you want to achieve different override styles.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Takis
Expert
Barry hi,
so duplication where can be useful?
Because even if someone duplicates a GO all rules must be new, so what is the meaning of duplicating?

In duplicated GOs even if the name of the rule is changed still affects one another, so they are like twins or something.

The only thing I can find useful in duplicating is only for additional rules in the duplicated GOs or in the original GO.

Takis
Barry Kelly
Takis wrote:
The only thing I can find useful in duplicating is only for additional rules in the duplicated GOs or in the original GO.
Exactly.
You have a GO combination that does nearly what you want so you duplicate it, add new rules or delete existing ones.
That is the easy way to set up a similar GO combination without setting it up from scratch.

A rule is a rule and it will do exactly as it is set to do - if you change it then it will change in every combination that uses it.

When you only have one or two rules there is really not much benefit in duplicating a combination.
There is more value when there are a lot of rules involved.

Duplicating a rule is handy especially if you want to tweak just one setting like the fill type or colour.
Saves creating a new rule and then setting every criteria and override option from scratch.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Takis wrote:
Because even if someone duplicates a GO all rules must be new, so what is the meaning of duplicating?
No they don't all have to be new rules.
Only if you want that rule to do something different like a different colour or fill type.

For example I have a rule that simply turns all zones transparent as I don't want to see them on my plans.
So I have a GO combination called "Zones - transparent" with just this one rule.
I use this for my floor plans and my electrical plans - same plans just different layers - I don't want to see zone colours in either of them.

Now I wanted to hide certain objects I didn't need to see on the electrical plan but because of the layer they are in they will have to show.
Rather than setting up a new layer, moving objects to that layer and changing my layer combinations, I simply duplicated the GO combination used in my electrical plan view.
I added a new rule that said find certain objects by name and override them with white pens.
I then apply that new GO combination to my electrical plan views.

So my new GO combination has one old rule - the same one used in other combinations as well and also one new rule.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Takis
Expert
Very nice, thanks Barry.

Takis.