BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Graphic Override Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've created a rule in Graphic Overrides to highlight any element that is on the ArchiCAD layer and change it to a bright red colour.

The problem I'm having is that it also changes the in-built story levels in the elevation/section window to the bright red colour. I can't seem to exclude this from the rule as the in-built story level isn't a defined element that you can assign a layer to.

The work around is to define every element within the rule individually but it would be great if GS could fix this.
4 REPLIES 4
Hello,

Your solution deals with changing your way of using the Archicad Layer or Graphic Override
You had better to create your own layer to be free to apply your graphic override without mistake
I don't think GS need to change something about Graphic Override about your problem
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christophe wrote:
Hello,

Your solution deals with changing your way of using the Archicad Layer or Graphic Override
You had better to create your own layer to be free to apply your graphic override without mistake
I don't think GS need to change something about Graphic Override about your problem
The reason for the graphic override rule is to highlight and prevent anything being modelled or drafted on the ArchiCAD layer as it appears on every layer combination.

If there's a better way to monitor this in a large company I'm open to suggestions - but until then it is a flaw with the software to assign in-built story levels to a layer that is affected by graphic overrides.
What I do...
Select one of the elements on the Archicad layer

Click on the option "fast layer" which makes it possible to hide all the other layers

Now you can see very quickly and only the elements to move on another layer, you can choose to see all in 3D instead of moving the elements level after level

The advantage of this method is that the ordered elements disappear as and when all the layers are
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Yeah, it is common practice (and a good one) to use Graphic overrides for Quality Assurance like this. In this case you can totally go with creating a GO set that overrides everything in red that is on the wrong layer (including the rule that the ARCHICAD Layer is the wrong layer for everything), and this way you can just look at the plan and see at once if anything is on a wrong layer.

In this case you will have no other choice but to ignore that these elements are overridden, as every element needs to have a layer in ARCHICAD, and it is a limitation that you cannot control the geometry and/or layers of these Markers. Changing this behaviour is on our to-do list, but it is way down the line.

Alternatively to workaround this, you can list all the element types as a criteria instead of "All types", to make sure it only affects placeable elements (like you suggested), but that is quite complicated.

You can also create separate views to check the ARCHICAD layer, and just do what Christophe suggested, and turn off every layer in those views.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Learn and get certified!